.22 penetration tests

Dunkield

It has been said that a rimfire subsonic round will pass straight through a 1.5" kitchen worktop at 50 yards.

So . . as I was supposed to be taking some old worktops to the dump yesterday and happened to be passing one of my permissions :good:

Pictures are of the back to the worktop, 2 shots at 25 yards 2 shots at 50, all using Winchester subs.

The damage seems the same at 25 and 50, if I get a chance to do the same at 75 and 100 yards I will (assuming I can still hit it of course :yes: )

P1010503__Medium_.JPG

Guest rabgoat

Surely if .22 subs do that to a solid object it would be just as effective as a 17hmr on a fox :stupid:,wonder what high velocity rounds would do,interesting stuart i like this sort of experiment. :rolleyes:

Surely if .22 subs do that to a solid object it would be just as effective as a 17hmr on a fox :stupid:,wonder what high velocity rounds would do,interesting stuart i like this sort of experiment. :rolleyes:

they are effective on foxes but the big thing is getting the round in the right place with the loopy trajectory it makes a big difference distance and as we all know foxes can look closer than they actually are, the HMR in the same experiment will go through but you will see the round fragment a lot more and take more out of the back of the worktop leaving bits of bullet fragmented. With the faster expansion it also does a lot more damage and power wise its massively up on the .22lr. That being said 50 yard shots the .22lr is fine and though may be against the concensus particularly of people who never have had a rimfire on here can be used on foxes very effectively. (obviously if your ticket conditions alow it Blah Blah Blah etc)

Updated with 75 yards and 100 yards using Winchester subs and 75 yards with Lapua solid points.

The holes look the same to me despite the extending range.

The solid points have a slightly reduced exit hole.

P1010504__640x480_.JPG

The high shot looks like this in profile, so you can see a bit more of the expansion detail.

P1010505__640x480_.JPG

Guest rabgoat
can be comical firstly you get told not to use it on anything not on the end of the barrel then don't point it into the air as it will kill someone miles away :rolleyes:

Interesting experiment. Thanks for doing this. As stated, a lot of people suggest .22lr is a mickey mouse caliber but it seems to be capable of quite some damage.

some good points there lads,I was thinking along these lines when i made my first comment, i wasn't intending on starting a .22 vs 17hmr,it just made me think of when i first went looking about a rifle,i had intended on going for a .22 but was told by my local dealer that i would regret it that the .22 was just a jumped up airrifle,now don't get me wrong i don't regret getting the 17hmr......edit...I have a piece of work top in the shed i might just try shooting the different 17 rounds at it out of interest what do you think stuart,are you serious about the delete button :stupid:

Edited by rabgoat

but was told by my local dealer that i would regret it that the .22 was just a jumped up airrifle,

Maybe we could get your local (presuambly gun not drug?) dealer to stand at 150 yards and see what happens to him? it might stop him spouting **** anyway :rolleyes:

As has been said this proves nothing at all in terms of killing things - that wasn't the point, bullets behave completely differently against soft targets.

The point was I had been told it would go straight through at 50 yards and curiousity just got the better of me, and as I had a bit of scrap worktop it was easy to try it.

As we can see it also went straight through at 75 and 100, and looking at the holes I don't see why it wouldn't do the same at 125 and 150 but I think that might be about it.

take it further out stu, (if you can work out the drop) 150yds+ go on, i bet it still goes through :good:

Its gonna take some serious ballistician to figure out how to hit a worktop at 150 yards lol

We could get Japrite to do some 300m shots with a .22lr sub. That would be interesting to see...

:yes:

ZB

I've just been out in the garden. At 25 yards CCI subs manage to get about 2.5" into a softwood fence post before stopping, and when fired into the sand bag get about three to four inches before stopping. In the sand they mushroom very well, even to the point of seperating a small .22ish sized core from a mini polo like ring of lead. In the wood they are mis shaped, but nowhere near as much.

What did surprise me is that in our fairly enclosed garden, the .22 makes less noise than my spring air rifle (not judged by me, but by my father standing at the end of the driveway)

Stuartp

A good post and topic.

Without sounding like an old ****, which I am, this topic may at long last go half way to convince some of the disbelievers just how good the old .22 rimmy actually is.

Forty odd years ago we used to keep a serious number of free range laying hens and were obviously plagued by foxes. In my battle against them I used to keep an old .2rf permanently behind the seat of the Land Rover and I would hate to say how many 100's of foxes I shot over the years with this little gun. The longest shot between the sheds was 80 yds and if need must it would quite happily drop them at that distance, rarely would a follow up shot be required.

On occasions I would plink at rats in and around these sheds and more than a few times the little bullet has gone straight through the rat and then proceeded to go through the timber panel of the chicken house.

It really is a very versatile round and should never be underestimated, so keep up the testing stuartp and post some more results.

We need more of this, far better than the my caliber is better than yours debate.