DIY Gunsmithing?

bongodriver

Just been watching some videos on youtube from MidwayUSA showing how relatively easy some jobs are, including barrel shortening and cutting a new dovetail for a front sight, given that metalwork does not put me off in any way as I am pretty good at it, is there any legal requirement in the UK to be a 'qualified' gunsmith to do the work and does this kind of work require re-proofing?

Just been watching some videos on youtube from MidwayUSA showing how relatively easy some jobs are, including barrel shortening and cutting a new dovetail for a front sight, given that metalwork does not put me off in any way as I am pretty good at it, is there any legal requirement in the UK to be a 'qualified' gunsmith to do the work and does this kind of work require re-proofing?

I've been amateur gunsmithing for years so the answer to your question is yes you can do work on your own guns or other peoples as long as they are present while you're working on their gun without having to have an RFD ticket.

Yes you will need to reproof any alterations or mods to barrels and actions.

MIck...

Edited by Magus69

Thanks for the quick replies, it all helps.

You only need to Reproof for "Major Work"

is there a definitive list of what major work constitutes?

seeing as the title describes just thought i would pop this in can anyone help in the re-blue of a barrel as in what is the best way eg: heating or leave cold .what gun blue to use cheers

probably doesn't matter what blue you use, any cold blue should do 'what it says on the tin', the key is to get the initial prep right, making sure you keep the bore all sealed up.

Basic service, minor mods & the like I do myself, many other shooters are good at gunsmith work & the internet does a good job of letting people get in touch with like minded people.

Not much I would need a gunsmith for in the sense of takeing to a shop for work.

Some work though I will say I'd only trust a gunsmith to do the work if I had expensive shotguns for example.

Basic service, minor mods & the like I do myself, many other shooters are good at gunsmith work & the internet does a good job of letting people get in touch with like minded people.

Not much I would need a gunsmith for in the sense of takeing to a shop for work.

Some work though I will say I'd only trust a gunsmith to do the work if I had expensive shotguns for example.

Sorry to hijack, but How easy is it to tighten a sbs. I have an old english non ejector (made in birmingham by Ward) 12g that was left to me by a family member and I would like to get it into a useable condition, its gone a bit off face, my local gun shop didnt even look at it, says its not worth it, just bin it! trouble is it has sentimental value so thats not an option.

Any advice appreciated.

I too have wondered about DIY gunsmithing, Ive searched high and low for gunsmithing courses as it really interests me, but no luck yet.

Sorry to hijack, but How easy is it to tighten a sbs. I have an old english non ejector (made in birmingham by Ward) 12g that was left to me by a family member and I would like to get it into a useable condition, its gone a bit off face, my local gun shop didnt even look at it, says its not worth it, just bin it! trouble is it has sentimental value so thats not an option.

Any advice appreciated.

I too have wondered about DIY gunsmithing, Ive searched high and low for gunsmithing courses as it really interests me, but no luck yet.

A few things to consider

First are the barrels good ? free from pits and dents

You need to get them measured to see if they are still in proof

Then i'd think about getting it tightened up, its not really a DIY job and saying that its not an expensive job

At the end of the day as a Family heir loom you have to ask your self "Is it worth spending a couple of hundred quid to get it sorted ?

I know a few Good Gunsmiths that would take on the work you need doing

if it just needs tightening up you'll get change from a hundred quid

Is it a Hammergun ?

or is it a Boxlock / side lock

Feel free to PM me any other questions

WB