Before or after harvest?

gdunc

On a permission I have effectively in my back yard i've noticed decent numbers of woodies around - enough to make a shoot worthwhile.

They're hitting barley from trees and are also lining up along overhead lines (this has allowed me to get a good idea of numbers). The barley will be harvested either end of this week or start of next.

My question is this...

Should I get out asap and set up decoys over the barley,

or, should I get out asap and set up decoys on flattened sections of barley,

or, should I wait 'til after the harvest and decoy over the stubble?

Thanks in advance :lol:

On a permission I have effectively in my back yard i've noticed decent numbers of woodies around - enough to make a shoot worthwhile.

They're hitting barley from trees and are also lining up along overhead lines (this has allowed me to get a good idea of numbers). The barley will be harvested either end of this week or start of next.

My question is this...

Should I get out asap and set up decoys over the barley,

or, should I get out asap and set up decoys on flattened sections of barley,

or, should I wait 'til after the harvest and decoy over the stubble?

Thanks in advance :lol:

If the pigeon are hammering the barley then you must remember why your there ,do justice to the crop and the farmer by doing your job, if only taking the odd shot and keeping them away until the crop is cut, then go enjoy a better set up and hopefully with it better sport for you. Sport comes second to crop protection at all times :lol:

Ok, I hear you guys - to add a little more detail...

The farmer isn't really that fussed about the crop getting munched by the local wildlife - he wont let me manage the oversize roe population :lol: However, he doesn't mind the odd pop at the pigeons. To be honest i'd be out there a lot more were it not for it's proximity to a popular footpath and a housing scheme - i'm trying to limit my visits to being worthwhile in terms of getting a few woodies in the bag. It is safe to shoot but in an area of high anti potential.

Just in case you thought I was idly watching fields get hammered that i'd promised to protect!

As i'm no pigeon shooting expert my question was more about how to get the most pigeons coming in given the current full crop and nearby harvest.

Cheers

Edited by gdunc

If you are to set up now do so only on laid areas but the farmer may not thank you for treading his crops to pick birds, personally i would just keep them off until the crop is cut then set up and enjoy

Cool, I think that may be the way to go. I've got some days off next week when anti should be at work so i'll wait for the stubble and see how I get on.

Cheers :lol:

Patients is sometimes key for better shooting, you could go every day and get a few or better wait till the crop is cut and employ a strategic feed to an area of the field which is the safest for all concerned, you could pop a few decoys down to help them find it but don't shoot. feed every night until you feel they are confident then go shooting. P.s i wont be dragged into any arguments concerning this advice. Take it or leave it :lol:

Edited by tealer

I think the most sensible thing to do is judge for yourself when you think there are plenty of birds feeding on that area - then take advantage of it. Often the birds will move off a crop if something else becomes a tastier or better option for them. Just to give you an example I walked off over 500 birds on swathed rape on the afternoon (4.00pm) and decided I leg it back for my kit. I was too late (that day) and only shot 5. I thought I'g go back the next day - I shot 35 - not the large number I was hoping for, the following weeks I hardly saw a bird. Basically the lesson is - take advantage when they are there before its too late.

Let us know how you get on.

Si

First of all if you wait till it's harvested the farmer won't give a dam if you shoot it or not :lol:

You go now and shoot 50 pigeons then he will be over the moon as he no's you kept 300 birds or more of the field for the day ,which would be alot of barley :lol:

Ok you will pick more birds but the farmer won't give a toss about that :yes:

Go get them cowboy :good:

Thanks for your input chaps :good:

Went out yesterday afternoon (was a lovely day up these parts!) for about 2.5hrs and got six and only missed a couple.

I originally set up the decoys on the flattened barley for a 'realistic' feeding effect but then decided to lay the shells on top of the standing barley to make them more visible - this seemed to improve things so i'd maybe have gotten more in if i'd started like that. When I walked them off there were loads in the trees - unfortunately most of them returned to them flying straight over my pattern but I was happy with the way they were coming in and they were going to land in the pattern so it must've looked ok.

The farmer was happy too and the combine came out last night so I think I timed it quite well. I'll go out again next week over the stubble and see how I get on, would be nice to try and draw more from the trees though - any ideas?

Not much you can do to draw them from the trees unless they decide its time for a feed. Normally when they land in trees they are taking a break or sitting up to digest the previously consumed food. However, you can intercept them on the way in or way out if you study the flightline and get the decoys as close as possible (ideally underneath). You may find you have more success on the way in as once you have shot the guys in the trees will be flighting for safety if you are close, but if you are far enough away you may be able to get away with moving them from the trees and into the decoys on the way out.

Let us know how you get on.

Si