What kind of optics?!

Horrocks

Hi there

I am shortly going to invest in a .17 HMR rifle for rabbit shooting and am lost on which would be the best kind of sight.... fixed or variable?

i'll be shooting at ranges from 30 to 150 yards and have a budget of about £375 (maybe slightly more), i suppose at this level buying a variable is a waste of time?

I've looked at the S&B 8x56 and it sounds great, but will it be suitable?

I'd appreciate suggestions, not just about fixed or not but about what magnification would be best with each scope type and for what i want to use it for.

Hope i'm not sounding too dim :lol:

thanks

you need more mag than 8x on an hmr if you want to take headshots at rabbits at 150yds variable up to 16 is ideal. 8x56 is generally a center fire scope (the kill zone is bigger)even then it is not ideal.

plenty to choose from with your budget both new and second hand.

Would a leupold 3-12x50 be any good? or 4-16x50? :lol:

Can anybody suggest a good scope manufacturer, i'd like a good quality scope that wont let me down, but the expense of some of them is eye-watering, like

anybody else I have to work hard for the money i get and want to be sure an investment even in my price range would be worth it..

I've been taking a look through opticswarehouse, are they any good?

Again, thanks

Since your only getting a rimfire rifle theres no need to be splashing out on a hugely expensive rifle mate, The MTC Optics are a good look although friends have told me theres no need to even spend this much on a rimfire and heaper models will do.

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.as...bCat=MTC+Optics

Have a look at these, The MTC 6-24x56 caught my eye, when I get a 17 or a 223CF I think I'll be going for one of those! :lol:

3-12 would not quite be enough mag 4-16 would be ideal ,leupold are very good especially the vx111, that said the vx1 is nothing special.

leupold have a lifetime warranty that goes with the scope not the owner,so if you buy a second hand leupold even an old one it is still covered and they never try to wriggle out of it,it is a really good service.

Edited by plinker

6-18 would be fine,ao is parralax adjustment you will need this for hmr it can be on the bell(front) of the scope or on the side (side focus) .

on the side is more is convienant but costs more, as mentionrd you can get all these features on cheaper scopes but the quality won,t be as good

I've been looking at that, would that kind of magnification be good for closer range work?

It sounds pathetic, but its often said that you get what you pay for, and the deals on the night eater seem too good to be true, is it that good a scope? or

would i be better forking out a couple of hundred more for the leupold and having a better time of it?

Nikko Stierling Platinum Nighteater 6-24 x 56 30mm AG

Very good scope for the HMR and when its down on 6 power it'll let you shoot close range stuff into 20yrds or even less (you can also see clear enough in twilight )and up on 24 mag you can head shoot bunnies out to 200yrds (The gun & scope can do it - its just down to you for the rest :lol: )

But saying that my mate uses a Leupold VXIII 4-14 x 50 Varmint hunter and its the dogles danly bits

Edited by tulkyuk

leupold are a cracking scope and have many variants within your budget, in reality most shots will be taken in my experience to a max of approx 150 yds and in no way require as much as 24x mag. i use sightron 4-16 and rarely take it above 12x.

the other factor is reticle width choose a fine one if possible.

Edited by harv

Nikko Stierling Platinum Nighteater 6-24 x 56 30mm AG

Very good scope for the HMR and when its down on 6 power it'll let you shoot close range stuff into 20yrds or even less (you can also see clear enough in twilight )and up on 24 mag you can head shoot bunnies out to 200yrds (The gun & scope can do it - its just down to you for the rest :lol: )

But saying that my mate uses a Leupold VXIII 4-14 x 50 Varmint hunter and its the dogles danly bits

i got one of these scopes on my rimfire brilliant little scope gave 450 for mine

Excellent choice - i use a VXL 6.5 -20 x 56mm Extreme Varmint on my 6.5 x 55 for deer stalking and long range stuff

i have just bought the new bushnell 6500 4-30 x 50mm for my 223 and that is an awsome bit of kit too!!

That is such a gorgeous scope, proper head turner