interest rates cut

MM

1% would have been nice, I know people were talking about it.

On plus side I had some good news that my Icesave ISA (basically all my savings not much but all I have) will be covered by the UK compensation scheme after Iceland Govt said they wouldn't cover it, at least Darling has done something good for me.

Nice to hear you'll get it all back Dr W :)

I think most of the down turn in the economic climate is due to scare mongering - every time you turn on the TV or read a newspaper, all you see or hear is :- Credit Crunch, Credit Crunch, Credit Crunch..................................................

Edited by tulkyuk

Yes basically papping myself last night, very much relieved today.

Agree with media sentiments as well, media talks up a recession, people decided to stop spending and save some cash, business make cut backs as profits are falling, people lose jobs so have less to spend, businesses have to cut back etc etc.

Some good news and more interest rate cuts might help things along, going to be a tight Xmas on the high street.

Gutted for your folks Martin, I hope they've got some savings to fall back on and I hope it's banked somewhere safe.

Thanks for info Robert, Going to have to look around for a new place for my pitiful savings but god only knows when I'll see the money from the compensation scheme. Any idea how you apply or will they send me the forms?

Thanks Robert

I find it very funny that the FSA has a web page called 'Money made clear'. Clear as mud maybe the FSA have their collective heads up their arrses most of the time and if you ever ring for advice their telephone monkeys know nothing.

Edited by Dr W

Gutted for your folks Martin, I hope they've got some savings to fall back on and I hope it's banked somewhere safe.

Thanks for info Robert, Going to have to look around for a new place for my pitiful savings but god only knows when I'll see the money from the compensation scheme. Any idea how you apply or will they send me the forms?

Terrible news Martin. Can't say much really, other than I'm very sorry to hear that.

Dr, I can't say, although I expect they'll stump up first and then argue with the Icelandic muppets afterwards. Even so, if I had to guess I'd bet a few months rather than a few weeks. I imagine they'll contact you once they've put something in place. The FSCS website is every bit as helpful as you'd expect:

http://www.fscs.org.uk/consumer/

I'll have a look about and see if there is any more info. This situation hasn't arisen before, so I expect that there is much scribbling on fag packets at this very moment.

Robert

cheers for the kind words kids. :) they ran a large software training company in yorkshire, and whilst im sad that its gone under, im even sadder that my Pa is retired, and his Mrs aint far behind. they stuck everything they earnt in the past few years into it. a bit of a gamble in life i know, but its only money. hopefully they will go freelance next year, and top up my inheritance! :P

i backed them all the way, so i cant say told you so. they thought they were doing the right thing at the time. just goes to show what the world is like today.

"lifes a bitch, then you get a job in IT" :yes::/