Looking to buy a scope

smsguitarist

Hey guys.

Im looking to buy a decent scope. I want something with a large objective lense for a better view and would like it parallax adjustable but i don't really know what to go for. I'm on a bit of a budget so looking for the best bargains i can get. What can you recommend for me? Will be used for hunting and target shooting, mainly hunting in the late afternoons/early evenings.

At the moment i have an SMK 3-9x40 and it's not very good really. Not enough clarity and theres no point having a focus on it because it only makes things worse.

Cheers guy, any useful input appreciated.

Thanks for the reply but it's a little expensive and i do want the Adjustable Objective for target shooting in the garden.

I've been looking around and i do like the look/sound/price of the Nikko Stirling Gold Crown Air King AO.

£54 incl P&P from BAR with mounts and covers. Anyone got any experience with these?

Look at JSR SCOPES. I have the 6-24x50 AO ill ret on my AA S400 and find it thoroughly workable and very well built. A tad hazy at the 24x limit but no edge distortion. The parallax adjuster is stiff when new but I fitted the ring with a large sea fishing coaster and it works brilliantly. You get free flip up covers and a metal sunshade. The lock down elevation and windage turrets are scaled and finger adjustable. Really worth a look at as are the 3-9x40 range too.

The focus ring on your SMK is only to compensate for the different users eyes. It is only designed to bring the cross hairs into focus. If you want to adust the parallax you will have to remove the object lens ring and adjust the front lens itself. Most set their focus (parallax) for roughly 25/30yds POI but if you shoot consistantly at shorter distances you may well find adjusting the objective lens will more suit you own particular circumstances. I have a scope set for garden shooting so I have brought the parallax much closer in on that scope.

Steve

Edited by Biffo1262

Cheers Biffo

Right i've narrowed it down to:

Nikko Sterling Gold Crown Airking 3-9x42AO

Or

JSR 3-9x40 PX Illuminated.

Both are the same price and both come with Flip up covers. The Airking also comes with mounts but i already have them so not bothered!

Which would you guys go for? The JSR seems to have the better reviews.

Cheers

Lewis

If you don't mind a duplex reticle, I'm quite pleased with my Walther 3x9x40 AO/IR.

Comes with mounts (though no stop-pin) so I've used a set of Accushot mounts

AO goes down to less than 10yds.

Seems robust & not lost their zero (yet)

Got mine (new) off of a Fleebay auction for £35 plus postage though you may not be so lucky on price.

Me = happy bunny, Squirrel = unhappy/dead bunny

Hey guys cheers for the recent replies. StevieP... Thanks for the reccommendation but i want a mil-dot reticle as i am going to be testing my accuracy across many different target distances. I might have a look at one of those for my plinking gun though in the future.

Regarding col S10's post... i did think about going and buying second hand but i've had some not too postive experience with second hand goods so i decided to buy brand new. I'm buy no means a professional shooting so something relatively cheap and chearful will do fine for me! When i can afford to splash out on a serious professional rifle then i will definitely be buying pro-optics.

and finally... i've decided to go for the JSR since it seems to have better reviews than the Nikko Sterling (that i could find) and i've had so many reccommendations of them so they must be half decent.

Cheers everyone

Take care all,

Lewis

I think the JSR scopes are rebadged Leapers.

Not a bad thing IMO

More popular in the US but probably more to do with who chooses to import them.

The Accushot mounts, at least, are rock solid & excellent VFM.

There's a lot to be said for the kit in this sort of price range.... at least if you drop it, you aren't going to have a coronary.

Cheers for all your replies guys, some interesting reading has prevailed. I bought the JSR 3-9X40 Parallax adjustable IR t'other day and i was wandering what use the resetting turrets have? locking is an obvious use which i may or may not take advantage of but why would there be a need to reset the turrets back to the 0 mark without changing your POI?

Cheers