Hide Building

seisobs

The only problem with that, is that on the actual shooting day the birds might have moved.

On some of the fields I regularly shoot, there are steady favourite areas where the birds always seem to feed, usually because they are sheltered from the wind.

I have made hide positions at these spots, by cutting into the natural vegetation (with permission) and supplementing the hide with a cammo net on the actual shooting day.

I also wouldn't leave nets in fields for someone to steal.

Thanks for that Cranfield.

I had thought about someone nicking the nets and poles myself but the permissions I have are well off the beaten track. Good point on the birds may move, mostly crows in my area and they are not daft, they disappear as soon as I arrive on the field, they come back only in one's or two's every 30 mins or so, that's why I wwondering about setting up the day before.

Did have one trip out with a mate, same thing, the crows disappeared as soon as we arrived, after setting up I asked him to move the jeep to the farmhouse, as soon as he was out of sight, the crows came back en masse, interesting. As I say they are not daft, they can't count though!

I had thought about someone nicking the nets and poles myself but the permissions I have are well off the beaten track.

Some dog walkers, ramblers, bird watchers, etc have been known to destroy hides, pheasant feeders, release pens, etc., for their own personal reasons.

Then you also have the mindless scum that wander around to contend with as well.

Thanks for that Cranfield.

I had thought about someone nicking the nets and poles myself but the permissions I have are well off the beaten track. Good point on the birds may move, mostly crows in my area and they are not daft, they disappear as soon as I arrive on the field, they come back only in one's or two's every 30 mins or so, that's why I wwondering about setting up the day before.

Did have one trip out with a mate, same thing, the crows disappeared as soon as we arrived, after setting up I asked him to move the jeep to the farmhouse, as soon as he was out of sight, the crows came back en masse, interesting. As I say they are not daft, they can't count though!

Funny you say that.

When i was starting out shooting at about 13 - 14 years old, one of my dads friends offered to take me shooting, he would leave the boot open on his car, we would go into a wood and find a good spot to sit, then send the dog back to the car!

He always claimed that crows cant count, they see the danger going into the wood, would steer clear untill they saw it go, hence sending the dog to the car!

I always thought he was mad as a bag of badgers :good: