First hunt with new gun

smsguitarist

Well i went out with the .177 QB78 Deluxe after zero'ing this morning at 30 yards with a JSR 3-9X40AO IR scope with AA 4.52 pellets.

A nice three shot one hole start which was then ruined by wind (honest). The rifle is running 10.73ftlbs (according the gun shop which i believe).

Two of the Rabbits were shot at 25 yards and the other between 35 and 40 yards. I had another rabbit which had some sorts of growths allover so i desposed of that one. Every shot in the kill zone on the head. Same goes for pigeon which then fell a good 20 yards will a loud slam.

A successful hunt if you ask me with a rifle that is often rated by people as useless for hunting. My thoughts of the QB78 Deluxe so far without it being tuned are of a very high standard. In the right hands its pellet on pellet at 30 yards and is more than capable of taking down a rabbit at 40 as i have proved with it. Im hoping to push my range out to 50 yards soon so any advice people have on that... brilliant!

DSC00376.jpg

Edited by smsguitarist

ah ok. i will try it out on targets of course for my own satisfaction (or maybe not) and let you know how it goes. Cheers guy quick replies!

I'm sure you could hit a target at 50 yards with a QB78, but that's not the point, I don't believe with that power of gun you could provide a clean, instant, and humane kill at 50 yards. Even with 12ft/lb I don't like to push 40.

It's an interest to see the results. If the gun groups within an inch at 50 yards which realistically is doubtful, it will also have an impact velocity of approx 4-4.5 ftlbs energy, which most people i've spoken to say is enough for a headshot kill zone. I will NEVER hunt at a longer range without testing before hand, please dont think im an irresponsible idiot like some people you hear about. I know i wouldn't like someone taking pot shots at me.

Cheers all!

Edited by smsguitarist

hodge911 - It hasn't had any sort of tune yet but a member of these forums has offered to tune it for me when he's next in my local area so i have taken him up on that offer! He has 3 himself i believe all tuned and very nice indeed so im looking forward to seeing the results.

thanks for the latest replies,

Lewis