Out Lamping last night!

mysecretlife

So here we go, last night p.a.s took me lamping – again! Those of you who may have read my post on Wednesday will know the first outing was pretty uneventful – no fault of p.a.s, more the fact that I was so keen to get out I didn’t care if the moon was full and not a cloud in the sky!

So, we arrange to go out again, the forecast for Saturday night is thick low cloud, great. As with all good forecasts the thick low cloud turned out to be a few small wisps of cloud drifting past a bold as brass full moon – I’m beginning to think this moon has got it in for me!? Undeterred p.a.s say’s we’ll give it go and to add to my excitement (sad I know) we’re taking the .22 rimmy, ‘should improve our chances’.

A few shots at a target with the gun just to get a feel and then off for wonder. Not many bunnies about, until we spot one sat at about 60 yards, I bring the rifle up to my shoulder, line up the cross hairs, nervously squeeze the trigger and thud, I fluff the shot and Mr bunny casually hops into the hedgerow – ******!

Ney matter, we press on. We walk about 30 yards and lamp up again, a rabbit! This time I don’t fluff the shot, o.k. it’s a body shot and not ideal, but it does the job.

Armed with our quarry in the game bag we retreat back to the disco and move on to the next permission. Nothing doing, I don’t think the fact that we we’re followed round most of a paddock by 6 stupid horses who seem to think two men in camo with a gun at 1 o’clock in the morning have popped in to pay them a social visit.

We call it a night; p.a.s shows me how to paunch and skin my kill – very quick, very clean and we head home.

My thanks and respect again to p.a.s for being ***** to take people like me out and share some of his wisdom (yeah, I’m sure there was some in there somewhere, lol) with me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I know lamping may be something you guys do every day (or should that be night) but to me it’s a big deal to have the opportunity.

Right, I’m off now to find a recipe for my bunny.

jon (mysecretlife) A good and almost accurate description of our night out lamping, but i will be completeley honest and give you a bit of credit as you deserve it,the plinking,getting a feel for the 22 setion was basicly sticking a 10" diameter shoot n see target on an empty card board box which was propped up at the base of an old oak tree and miles of hilly fields behind to act as a second back stop,(just in case) we then walked back to the landrover that was parked up 50yrds away with the engine off and the headlights on full beam.not an ideal shooting platform and not very light just using the headlights to light up the target. but at least with the engine off jon wouldnt suffer with the associated shakes.any way i gave jon 6 shots in order to get a feel for the trigger and scope,bingo nearly all the shots landed in the middle of the target not grouped but still very good for his 1st attempt,well done and good shooting jon.i had taken the first 4 shots to check the zero and i will admit it was hard going trying to hit the centre on a target that was black and you couldnt realy see the centre even after it had been illuminated with the reflective coating.anyway a bit more credit for jon the 1st rabbit was just over 70 yrds i reckon. and the 22 is zeroed at 50 yrds so i said give about an inch high after steadying down for the shot jon scored a loveley complete MISS.so on we went i lamped up th 2nd rabbit and jon took the shot on hearing the impact i said to jon that sounded a bit like a body shot.we picked up the rabbit and i popped it in the game bag.we decided to pack up earlier than i normally would(still had loads of land to cover) as the sky was getting clearer by the minute.any way i gave jon a quick demo on skinning and gutting the rabbit,after being skinned i noticed the fatal shot had gone straight through the rabbits chest bloody begginers look lol.once again jon well done and it was a pleasure taking you out no doubt youl be keeping an eye on the sky now so you can have a rerun,

marty (airbourne9) i done better than squaring jon with a rabbit burger recipe. i sent him off with 2 pigeon burgers to try.