When do you shoot pigeons?

millo2

Hi guys, after reading a few of the recent posts, I was kind of puzzled at the time of year you guys were shooting pigeons. I have only ever shot pigeons in the summer months, as the farm I have permission on only has wheat that I shoot over in the summer.

Is there any other times of year I could be shooting where pigeons would come into the decoys on a field?

Scott

You can shoot pigeons all year round.

This year is exceptional where the pigeons seem to have dissappeared from the earth due to the abundance of beechmast/acorns/berrys. They do not have to venture far to feed and at this time of year they have to feed to stay alive from the cold not just starvation, so why would they venture too far when they don't have to. However they can't hide forever and are starting to show in better numbers now.

This is the time when fieldcraft comes in and you really need to get out and about and find where the pigeons are and what they are feeding on which could be anything from rape to brussel sprouts to last years stubbles depending on the conditions and availability.

Roost shooting can also be great sport in the winter months.

mm

when the farmer sows his field again you should still get a couple of weeks shooting pigeon then. then when the wheat or barley starts to shoot through you should have a chance on the crows then . if there is any sitty trees on the farm , get under one and wait . boring i know but it gets you out of the house.