Breed advice please

Its been a couple of years since my old springer passed away, and I am now seriously looking to aquiring a new working dog.

I really fancy the Wienarama, but my knowledge is limited on them, and I wonder if any of the members could offer some advise on this particular breed.

- I need a good strong, solid all rounder. Do they fit the bill?

- what is their temperament like?

- I have a couple of small children,.. what are they generally like around kids?

- Are thay hardy enough to be kept outdoors?

thanks in advance

Paul in North Lincs.

One of the guns on my shoot has a couple. He keeps them outside, but they do go in his house sometimes. His two were quite fiery around other dogs, but as I have only seen his two dogs, I cannot speak for the whole breed. I think they are known to be quite shy of getting in the thick stuff mate, prefering to flush from long grasses and short cover from what he said. But his were excellent retrievers

I would say look at a breed that is suitable for the type of work that you need it to do.

If you're looking for a "bushing" dog that needs to get into the rough hedges, then I'd stay away from the Weimaraner and the GSP (I work a pair of GSP's), in my experience they are generally too "soft" for rough work, and are more suited to open ground and lots of it !

Labs and spaniels tend to be harder and more readily enter rough cover, with spaniels, being smaller, better for very rough cover.

This is just my opinion, having watched working dogs of many different breeds over many years.

Good luck with your choice.

I go with Browning; think hard about the sort of work you will be doing. A Weim won't do what a spaniel or a lab does. If your circumstances haven't changed since you had a spaniel, I'd stick with that.

I need a good strong, solid all rounder. Do they fit the bill?

Probably not for the average bloke. Slow to train, and some are hard mouthed.

what is their temperament like?
Iffy. They were in part bred as guard dogs, so they are a bit sharp.

I have a couple of small children,.. what are they generally like around kids?
See above

Are thay hardy enough to be kept outdoors?
Yes, but they aren't good at being left alone.

Regards

Eug

Stick to the Springer... "Maid of all work" Great with kids, robust, easily trained and willing, adaptable, reliable and loyal, can hunt up, flush, point and retreive with the best of them, go through thick brambles like they werent there and swim like an otter. There aint many other dogs that can do all that, which is why they are so popular with shooting enthusiasts the world over.

The Weimarana has plenty of energy is a strong and relentless runner. They apparently have among the best sense of smell in the dogworld and originally were principly bred for guard duty. My uncle has a lovely dog which is very attached to him alone but to to be blunt I would not trust it with my kids ( they would probably eat it :D ) They are better suited to hunting in wide open places where their speed and excessive stamina come into play

Being generally a short haired dog they are a bit susceptible to the cold unless active. As Eugene rightly said they like a bit of company of their own type which is why many Weim owners have two.

You pays your money and makes your choice....