243 or 243 wssm

PAULT

The .243wssm is an interesting round but it doesn't really offer much over the .243 Winchester. Potentially it could be more accurate but I have read quite a lot of reports from people who have struggled to get them to shoot. You then have to factor in the extra cost of the brass and dies and as JRDS points out choice poor of rifles chambered in wssm. To be honest if it were me I would stick with the tried and tested .243 Win.

I far as I can tell both the 243AI and 243WSSM were developed to improve the already legendary accuracy of the 243 Win. As the 243 Win fired from a respectable make of rifle is a sub 1 MOA round. So unless you are bench shooting for competitions there seems no logical reason to incur the extra expense and limited availability of the wildcatted versions.

WSSM cartridges are excellent as are the WSM range.

I say that with authority having tried them ALL by buying rifles in each cal, using them in the field and hand loading accordingly - both WSSM and WSM.

BUT the 243 WSSM is not really any benefit over the excellent 243 for most folk and considering the costs involved and the restricted maker list available I would suggest you stick to the standard cartridge if it is a 243 you want.

However if you should consider the 25 then do seriously look at the 25WSSM as it is a better cartridge then the 25-06 if only because of the diminutive length and short bolt throw. I am also finding my 25WSSM Win Featherweight is outperforming my Rem700 Mountain 25-06 at all ranges and it proved particularly satisfactory at 3-600yds in the spring of last year

BUT my advice would be to stick to buying a Winchester rather than a Browning for best WSSM magazine to chamber feeding and you will not go wrong. If you can afford a better rifle than the mass produced ones fine - they will all function perfectly.

If you are anywhere in the E MIDS you are welcome to come and have a few shots with my 25 and see for yourself. You can even have a play with the 325WSM !

Any questions email me at mry716@hotmail.com

Edited by mry716