Hodgdon Varget in .243 Win

Dont know if i post here or start a new thread ,so feel free to drag me over the coals if in wrong place!

.243 using hodgdon varget and hornady 87gr vmax , i,m not finding data for this combo can someone please point me

in the right direction. cheers.

There is more than 1 version of this bullet I have just been working a new load with the 87 grn v-max BTHP (not the polymer tip) using the Varget. Good results at 325yds last week but you will have to work it up in your gun yourself- I ended up with a good case fill with Norma brass cci benchrest primers seating well off the rifling as is my way with a hunting round

Dont know if i post here or start a new thread ,so feel free to drag me over the coals if in wrong place!

.243 using hodgdon varget and hornady 87gr vmax , i,m not finding data for this combo can someone please point me

in the right direction. cheers.

Bullet wise its close in weight to the 85 grain soft points I use and with 36.5 grains of varget its a very accurate load in my rifle. I'd check the hogdon site and they will list starting loads etc but there is no reason it shouldn't work well

• 3 weeks later...

There is more than 1 version of this bullet I have just been working a new load with the 87 grn v-max BTHP (not the polymer tip) using the Varget. Good results at 325yds last week but you will have to work it up in your gun yourself- I ended up with a good case fill with Norma brass cci benchrest primers seating well off the rifling as is my way with a hunting round

cheers so much for info , i,ll give it a go and see how i go!

I wouldn't use a powder measure for reloading rifle loads. For top accuracy you have to weigh each charge.

I respect your judgement Vince but I disagree with you. I too use a Redding measure and it drops within a tenth with most powders--provided I use the same sequence each drop. I tend to raise the handle give it a rap and drop the charge giving it a rap to be sure no bridging has occurred. If you are in the center of a harmonic node a difference of .3/grain wont make a difference in group size. This has been my experience anyway. I shoot groups in the .2s and .3s with dropped loads.

Varget is good for about everything--I like it more every time I use it.

Edited by coyotemaster