Antler thumbstick

deeksofdoom

I collected a few sticks last year and decided that I'ld have go at making a few, so I decided I'ld take a few pictures of my latest efforts.

Heres a pic of the stick a nice piece of Hazel

24112008389.jpg

However it needed a bit of straightening first as can be seen from this pic.

24112008391.jpg

Here's a pic of the Antler and some Buffalo horn that I'm using for the thumb piece for the top.

24112008394.jpg

First things first I need to straighten this stick. But before I do this I need to take all the rough bits off the stick. Taking the rough bits off makes it easier on my knee when I'm bending it back into shape.

24112008390.jpg

So here's how I straighten the shanks. Just boiling a pot of water and steaming the shank over it. the next few pics are showing a different stick but the idea is still the same.

23112008384.jpg

After the stick has been steamed its time to give it a bend over the old knee.

23112008387.jpg

After a while it starts to straighten out a bit.

24112008392.jpg

And Finally its straiht enough and I cut the ends of it off to the required length..

24112008397.jpg

After sanding and giving it a rub of some boiled linseed oil the wood throws out some beautiful colours.

24112008395.jpg

24112008396.jpg

More to follow.................

well here's the next instalment...............

After straightening the stick the next thing I wanted to do was to attach the antler. Since I had no threaded bar I decided that I'ld hollow out the antler and carve a dremel from the top of the stick, here's a pic of the dremel being made.

25112008398.jpg

Had to keep working away at the dremmel to get it the right size to fit inside the antler.

25112008399.jpg

To ensure a snug fit I worked away at the dremel with a file rather than a knife in case I took too much off. here is a pic of the final fit, when I was sure it was fitting correctly I glued it with Araldite.

25112008402.jpg

So tonight I've done a little bit of work on the antler sanded it down a little bit.= and shaped the top of the stock into the antler. after that I gave the stick a coating of beeswax and then finally I glued the buffalo horn onto the top of the Antler. This is my second attempt at attaching the buffalo horn, the first time it just came off so this time I've hollowed out a bit of the marrow and hopefully it will set better this time.

26112008403.jpg

Stay tuned for more installments..........

So finally just finishing off the stick, first thing I had to do was to saw off the excess buffalo horn

Copyof27112008405.jpg

After that I had to het the file out to take off the edges,

27112008406.jpg

After a bit of effort I've gotten the edges down to a nice round shape.

27112008408.jpg

So all that's left is to sand the antler a bit more and give it a few coats of beeswax. I chose beeswax over yacht varnish as I heard the varnish cracks and causes the stick to get wet and the bark to lift.

Thinking about drilling a hole in the handle, inserting brass from a .22wmr magnum for a leather strap, just ned to try it out first on an off cot to see how it looks.