Carbine Williams.

Take a look at this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQ1P4o_qo0

At the end of the clip, Mr. Williams fires the Winchester Model 50 'automatic' shotgun, which operates with a kind of internal short-stroke piston called a Floating Chamber. This gun, introduced in 1954, was the first semi-auto to operate with a fixed non-recoiling barrel.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Take a look at this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQ1P4o_qo0

At the end of the clip, Mr. Williams fires the Winchester Model 50 'automatic' shotgun, which operates with a kind of internal short-stroke piston called a Floating Chamber. This gun, introduced in 1954, was the first semi-auto to operate with a fixed non-recoiling barrel.

Alan

Not strictly true unless you mean the first fixed barrel semi auto to go into major production. There were earlier guns, such as the Sjogren, which appeared around 1905, which were semi-autos which had non-recoiling barrels; these utilised a pistol "slide" action. Only a few thousand were made.

I want a Sjogren very, very much :angry:

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

Alan

Not strictly true unless you mean the first fixed barrel semi auto to go into major production. There were earlier guns, such as the Sjogren, which appeared around 1905, which were semi-autos which had non-recoiling barrels; these utilised a pistol "slide" action. Only a few thousand were made.

I want a Sjogren very, very much :good:

ZB

Not me, mate. I wanna keep my nose!

Quite true, Zapp, about production. The '50, itself only ran to 196,000 units and its sister, the glass-fibre barrelled '59 only ran to 82,085, (I have both models; maybe we could meet one day and you can have a shoot of them!) In 1963, Wayne Leek's design, the Remington 1100 took the shooting world by storm, sounding the death-knell for the '50/'59.

Also, several 'autos' appeared around the time of the Browning ('cos John Moses had more or less tied up all patents for 17 years!) and never 'took off'. One was the infamous Winchester Model 11 (nicknamed the 'Widowmaker) which had no operating lever, just a knurled part of the barrel to cock the mechanism!

Another interesting design came from Mr. Williams himself. It was an inertia operated gun that got its impulse by the BULGING of the cartridge head! (Using excessive head-space for the initial 'kick' to unlock the bolt). The locking system, with tilting breech block, is similar to that of a Bren. Remington realised that mangled shell-cases would be alarming!!! This design was 'buried' by the Remington foundation. I'll post a link for the patent.

Edited by Floating Chamber