British pigeon-hunting talk translated to American

El Gringo

I've been reading all these threads and learning lots about pigeon hunting from you guys. But I've also encountered a number of terms I don't recognize and decided that before going too far and developing an inaccurate vocabulary, it would be wise to confirm my translations. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here goes:

1) hide = blind

2) palavar = pain in the rear?

3) walked off = ?

4) newly drilled field = newly planted field

5) duff set up = lousy set up

6) rucksack = burlap sack

7) hedge = fenceline, or hedgerow?

8) blokes = guys

9) stockdove = ?

10) woodie = wood pigeon

11) tally = agree

12) barking = ?

13) old boilers = old guys

14) chuffed = proud

15) bodged = screwed up

16) gillies = I don't have a clue, but they appear to inhabit Scotland

17) fobbed off = po'd

18) jimmy riddle = pee

19) cuppa = cup of tea or coffee

20 ) old john thomas = another name for Big Jim and the Twins :devil:

Well, how am I doing so far?

El Gringo

Well, how am I doing so far?

El Gringo

:devil: Pretty good.

walked off is when you enter a field to set up your hide/blind but try and scare the birds off as little as possible.

stock dove is a variety of dove, smaller than a woodpigeon.

barking is the noise a dog makes or you can say someone is barking mad.

gillies are similar to a manservant but attend a shooter.As you say it is mainly a Scottish term.

You are pretty well spot on with the others.

9 A common Old World bird (Columba oenas) having grayish plumage

12 Mad or the noise a dog makes

13 Tends to refer to old unatractive womwn.

15 Bodged should read Botched

Bouched up - messed up, made a shambles of.

Origin: Sir Thomas Bouch designed a bridge that was built at the Tay estuary at Dundee in Scotland. It was supposed to be the greatest structure built in Victorian England. The building of the Tay rail bridge culminated in him being knighted. The Tay bridge was nearly two miles long, consisting of 85 spans and at the time (1879) was the longest bridge in the world.

One stormy night, only 19 months after the bridge was declared safe by the Board of Trade and opened to traffic in the summer of 1878, the wind caused some of its spans to collapse. A train and 6 carriages and 75 souls were lost that night ranking it as the worst accident caused by structural failure in the history of England. Sir Thomas Bouch died only 10 months after the failure. "

16 A professional fishing and hunting guide

Dave

Mill (and El Gringo)

Tally does mean "the total number". So when telling lies in the pub you might say "The final tally was 669 pigeons"

The term comes from the old time "tally stick". For the terminally bored here's a link explaining the term. http://www.birches.org/dgwb/pubs/ftvfr/017tallies305s.pdf

So you can see that the term "That doesn't tally" means the numbers (or stated facts) don't make sense.

Eug

Mill (and El Gringo)

Tally does mean "the total number". So when telling lies in the pub you might say "The final tally was 669 pigeons"

The term comes from the old time "tally stick". For the terminally bored here's a link explaining the term. http://www.birches.org/dgwb/pubs/ftvfr/017tallies305s.pdf

So you can see that the term "That doesn't tally" means the numbers (or stated facts) don't make sense.

Eug

Yeah what I thought mate

WALKED OFF - is a term used when you walk towards the feeding flock in order to scare them off the field and to see in which direction they go and if and how long before they begin to return.

WALKED OFF = TO SCARE AWAY/FRIGHTEN OFF/SHOO AWAY.

also.. walked off is something you do if you go on a blind(not a hide)date and don't like the look of the person you are about to meet!

Pete.

Throw the dummy out the pram = after waiting all morning on the little devils comming in to the deeks your dog eats your lunch,runs out the hide after a crow,taking the netting with it and to top it all the farmer decides to cover your deeks with slurry while you go after said dog to kick the ah hem i mean to retrain the ratbag on the steady command. :devil: