Pigeon Dodging

George1990

Yea all the time mate,

They just are used to being shot at thats all, they are not stupid in the slightest. I've often had my eye-in, hit every one then the wind gets right up and they get warey and then they start to 'jink' or 'bellow' - i'd describe 'jinking' as changing direction quick usually in wind with their wind tight in. 'Bellowing' is what l would describe as when they are coming straight in at you (say with the wind coming from behind your back) then they might spot something- they literally stop in the air raise their heads and bellow their wings - lift 40 feet or more and peel away like a rocket! If you want to really get to them get on a flightline on a freezing (sub - zero) cold morning when they are sluggish to manuver - slow and flying about 5 foot off the ground! you could hit them with a stick!

Thing to do is to wait just that little bit more - as they will be watching the hedge or the siluette in the hedge (you) and when they feel completely safe - you see it - they really commit - rise and drop the little *******!

Believe me they cant see the shot - nor can they move in time of the bang before the shot reaches them in low wind - high wind straight at you might be a bit different - its all part of pigeon shooting!.

I have noticed this occasionally and always put it down to too much lead. I think they hear the shot go past when its that close or feel the shock wave or something like that! :hmm:

Used to have the nerve to wait till they jinked and then hit them but not as fast to react these days so I generally take them earlier now. :good:

Yeah I've noticed this before too!

It seems to me that they do this when I am too eager and raise my gun too early, given them time to change their course. I've found that by waiting another second or so until they are just that bit closer, then it doesn't matter if they do change course, you're still in with a good chance of hitting them!