B & Q Bathrooms

webber

you cant install it, but you can work on/with it...... if i had to repipe every property which had lead in it id be quids in rob....

hitsfreshair, no hard feelings mate, no offence taken...but any good plumber will tell you how defensive they can get when people start plumb bashing especially with all the career change cowboys out there.....

push fit fittings, in the short term, are fine, especially for the diyer.... however, not only are they very bulky and unsightly they have a life span which is governed by a perishable rubber o ring... they do have a shelf life........... they are the true sign of an amateur job and they look it too.... ok copper will pin hole eventually, but still....i know what id rather have....

also, theres something in the polymers they use for pex and hep which literally attract rodents... if they can get to it, they WILL eat straight through it.........

im not saying its all bad, it has its uses, i have used it on the odd occasion..... but it gives me sleepless nights when i think about it....... mainly mice issues etc........ water can make a hell of a mess....

me, i bend good quality table x copper pipe whenever possible and use end feed or yorkshire fittings all the time.... no push fit, not compression....a proper job.

so, when you get a chancer, fresh out of his 6 week coarse, he will probably use speedfit, or flexi's etc... his job may not leak..... but i know what id rather have for my money.....

im not saying its immpossible for a layman to do it, you can do it yourself with mcalpine waste fittings and speedfit flexi's etc... but i wouldnt have it in my house, and if id paid someone to do it......... !!!! it'd be......"on yer bike pal!!!!!!!...."

There is a saying in the trade, (No job is straight forward) even if it seems to be.

Thats were the diy,er comes unstuck , they may be able to push fit joints and do the odd soldering job but its when they hit the un-seen problem, they dont know how to get round it, were as a good tradesman, will of seen it, done it and got the t-shirt for it.

As for plastic wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, ive lost count of the number of jobs ive been called out to, and had to replace the sh*te, and defo wouldnt have it in my house, yet all the new builds insist on using it, good luck to them i say, more money for me when the buyer moves in and it leaks, and it will rest assured.

Edited by McF

So you cannot wipe a lead joint legally then :) you have to use leadlocks :yes:

Which is what i was pointing out ;)

ar well you got me there rob.. did'nt ya.... fair do's boss... :yes: but as you know, i mostly work with gas and a wiped lead to copper joint is fine in a lead gas carcass... (well, thats my excuse anyway!!!)

now fetch me my moleskin!!! :hmm:

now, im off to the quacks at 10am, then to work ....before you all start asking questions as to why im sat at home........!!!

cp12's all day today....great............... :yes: