Warning !! Foxes Were Harmed During the Making Of This Thread

DaveP3@

Hi All,

Its been a while since i posted anything up so thought it tell you about my first foxes of 2009......

The weather recently has been randomly on and off but on Friday all seemed like it could be a 'go'er'. Calls were made and Myself and Rob (Welsh1) arranged to hit a couple of our permissions (1 brand new 300 acre poultry farm :lol: :lol:)

After my normal pre shooting bad admin session (Rob normally has to wait around anywhere up to an hour from getting to mine before I'm ready to leave :good: ) the transport was packed and we set off. Weather on the approach seemed very favourable (low cloud and intermittent moonlight).

Farm 1

When we arrived the weather was a bit blowy so we set off towards the zeroing area (id recently made a few reloads i wanted to check), after a quick check/zero it was time to start the night off. We moved off to a very active field i had a quick scan with the NV and noticed that the farmer had removed the sheep and replaced them with his scatty ponies :/ no fox or rabbit was seen so i decided to have a quick sit and wait as id seen plenty of foxes transiting through this field, Rob had a quick wander around the field adjacent after a few rabbits. After 10-15 mins or so Rob came back and we had a quick brew and a quiet chat, Rob had had the good sense to download the '16 min track' from Varmint Al's website and decided to give it a whirl. After about 8 mins i had a quick scan and didn't notice a great deal but Rob said to check my flank, i did and noticed a shape which i assumed was the farmers infamous 'lost sheep' (that refuses to leave that particular field). I whispered to Rob what i thought it was and he asked was i sure :lol: I had another scan and couldn't believe it when it turned profile and it was a very close (40yard) fox. It obviously knew something was up as it was interested but didn't want to come much closer to the hedge line we were in. I aimed and sent a 55gr Nosler BT his way. needles to say he dropped on the spot. On checking it was a very nice condition Dog, bullet hit him square in the chest. Surprisingly enough there was no exit wound so I'm happy that 'Charlie' expired almost instantly.

post-6980-1231693759.jpg

Farm 2

After the success in farm 1 it was time to move on, of for a 5 min drive to our next permission. We've seen a few foxes on this farm that respond very well to calls :P so well in fact its very hard to stop them running in (closest call was sub 10yards at night :oops: ) but up until now we've never bothered taking any. This tends to be our main rabbit permission. We set off for a favourite field only to find it had been ploughed :lol: (with a B52 by the looks of it). We skirted this and moved to a sty which overlooks a favourite fox field. We sat for 10 mins and again Rob got his 16 min call out. I gave it a scan after 5 mins and luckily caught Charlie coming in like a steam train. I had to squeak to get her to stop and i didn't have time to let Rob know so the shot must have startled him a bit :D :D. On checking it was a very nice vixen taken at 30 yards, again a chest shot as she was looking directly at me again. On examination bullet entered here chest and came out in her abdomen. Again no messing, she dropped on the spot :P

post-6980-1231693786.jpg

Farm 3

This is the new permission, we headed over planning for a very quick look around but due to someones bad admin ( mine :good: ) i forgot the map of the area so i could only really identify 2 fields which we were ok in. After a quck circuit of the field i saw a shed load of bunnies sitting nicely at a HMR distance but as we only had the .22 and .223 so left them. We planned to wander over to a group of bales and use this a platorm overlooking most of the field and use the 'magic' 16 min call again, on the way over i spotted Charlie trhough the NV moving away from us at a rapid rate as the wind was not in our favour. We sat up on the bales for 10 mins or so but it was absolutely freezing and the wind had picked up significanty. Shortly after we decided to call it a night as it was nearly 4am :lol:

After a slow start it was a fantastic start to 2009's foxing. Hoping for plently more over the coming months. Its all looking good as i look set to get my golf course permission back which i lost a while back :lol:

Thanks for looking,

Dave.

Edited by DaveP3@

I did hope no one was going to notice but i have a very badly pixelated face, the result of a freak yachting accident when i was a puppy

Ahh, the ole checkered yacht to the face, must have been a difficult childhood :lol:

although, its good to see that you've strayed from your canine routes and started walking on your hind legs.

Congratulations :yes:

Edited by shot shot

• 2 weeks later...