List of vermin/game you can shoot

GJUK

Masson

I totally agree with your post, exactly my feelings.

I suppose what I find hard to comprehend is the fact that people join BASC use the BASC logo on their signature but can't be ***** to spend a little time researching the website of the organisation they have spent their hard earned cash joining.

boo hoo.

I rather think that some sections of the population have lost the ability to think for themselves and have become lazy in a I want it now manner. I blame modern education but then I'm an old **** who has always enjoyed reading and researching every little bit of info I can find on guns and shooting.

God what's your problem.

If this is a faster way of getting information, then who are you to tell me not to use it?

Quarry and their seasons and exceptions. http://www.basc.org.uk/media/quarry_id_new.pdf

England General Licence. http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/conservat...L%20Gen-L05.pdf

Finally and most important: Firearms Law: http://www.basc.org.uk/media/ho_guidance.pdf if you aren't sure about the law, it'll be in there.

This is a super post - great links.

GJUK - it might be faster for you, but what if no-one replied? Would you bump, asking again, and wait some more? The post that HW682 linked to was posted not long before you joined and might well have be found with a site search. I'm not telling you not to do anything, but just suggesting a little time spent yourself can be more rewarding.

GJUK - it might be faster for you, but what if no-one replied?

I've not had that problem yet.

Would you bump, asking again, and wait some more?

Probably not but then I've not had that problem yet.

The post that HW682 linked to was posted not long before you joined and might well have be found with a site search. I'm not telling you not to do anything, but just suggesting a little time spent yourself can be more rewarding.

I work in IT. I spend about 12-18 hours a day in front of a computer, in the office, at home etc. I find forums 2nd nature and just find them easy to use/get information.

Its easy for me to write a post in 20 seconds, leave it for a bit and then come back to the information, containing peoples views (which I think everyone is overlooking).

You won't find many opinions on the BASC website.

I'm all for helping people, ask the two PW members I sat in a hedge with last weekend passing on my decoying tips n tricks at their request.

I'm also all for helping people who help themselves first - rather than play the "newbie card" all the time and expect it on a plate.

Edited by garyb

I'm all for helping people, ask the two PW members I sat in a hedge with last weekend passing on my decoying tips n tricks at their request.

Thats nice to hear.

I'm also all for helping people who help themselves first - rather than play the "newbie card" all the time and expect it on a plate.

So, taking lessons, going out and meeting people 'in the field' talking to other shooters off the forum is suddenly not good enough for you? What I do on this forum is perhaps 30% of my 'shooting hobby'. Unfortunately this is all you can see me do, which is why perhaps you're upset.

Its easy for me to write a post in 20 seconds, leave it for a bit and then come back to the information, containing peoples views (which I think everyone is overlooking).

You won't find many opinions on the BASC website.

I should hope I won't find opinions on the BASC site. But then when is "a list of verman/game you can shoot" going to be an opinion rather than a fact?

I totally agree that if it's emotive or an area where input from a number of people will benefit, a post is ideal and the whole point of a 'forum'. If it's factual, surely finding the source rather than getting someone's take/opinion on it is a safer option, and then maybe clarify with others if you have doubts?

I'm a newbie, too, so I can't say much, but what if each new person posted the same questions each time? That's a lot of posts for the people with the answers to cover.

Edited by Masson

if you have only been with an experienced shooter wouldent it have been easier to ask him?

Easier? No. He's not my shaddow, im not with him 24/7. What a stupid thing to post.

It's like me saying it would have been easier for you to get your pointless contribution to the thread to me, via royal mail.

I think all questions are good, and quite frankly i like a fast answer, if i was relying on gaining happiness and seld satisfaction from spending 45 minutes trawling through search engine results as appose to typing a question on a forum and getting a quick answer then that's your thing, not everyone can take time to read a whole book to answer a question, and usually you find so many variations in the law that you may buy a book on a subject and break the law just through your geographic location such as -

Deer season in scotland versus england....

stop being an a55hole and answer the question or if you don't like it ignore it....

GJUK,

good on you and your responses to the hecklers and moaners have made me chuckle.... :good:

a forum is for discussion...

CUSHAT

I just looked at some of your topices YOU posted, one of them was titled " DO THESE BULLETS SHOOT STRAIGHT?"

THE BELOW IS YOUR QUESTION THAT FOLLOWED

"Sorry - probably a pretty dumb question, but I'm pretty new to rifles....

I was zeroing in my new rifle yesterday and couldn't get better than about 1.5" with Federal ammo. I'll try a couple of other brands, but after closer inspection of the Federal bullets the soft points do seem to be a bit knocked around - is this normal or is this enough to effect accuracy? Random selection below out of a box of 20:"

Now Cushat, there is a well known saying, iit goes like this, don't throw stones in glass houses! :lol:

If someone in the " public open domain" were to read YOUR question in the "OPEN FORUM" (as you say) would they think, " Jesus, why does a bloke want to buy ammo that doesn't shoot straight! he could miss and kill someone or just injure an animal, he says himself that he is NEW to riffle shooting, what he should have done was look that info up on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why does he say himself he is asking a dumb question!!!

:yes::good:

The point I am making here Cushat (and I am only having a laugh, don't take it personal.) is that we all ask questions, that is how we learn, if we were all experts then we wouldn't ask questions at all. I am sure when you started shooting that you need answers to questions and I am sure you will continue to ask questions.

Just don't have a moan at someone when they do, it is not like GJUK asked a dumb question like " can I decoy pigeons and shoot em in the sky with my .243!" :good:

My god, what has that got to do with anything? Zero relevance and not even remotely comparable.

So you're actually telling me you place the "what exactly can I shoot with my shotgun" question in the same basket as "I cant get this rifle to zero very well, will these bullets affect it" basket? I'm sorry I missed the bit where he said he wanted to buy defective ammo - what are you on??

You can see by the answers to that question and this, that it clearly wasn't a dumb question as opinion was entirely divided. Who on earth asked about decoying pigeons and shooting them while airborne with a .243?:good:

Sometimes I just cringe at what people on PW are actually thinking when they type. Sadly, yet another example of a superb internet resource being spoiled by smart **** answers and irrelevant posting.

To GJUK, sort the wheat from the chaff here, I'm not intending to offend, but come on mate, did you really expect nobody to pull the "have a search for yourself" card? I think, judging by some replies, you've actually got off lightly. It may be argued anyone with a SGC and presumably from their sig, a member of a shooting organisation hasn't done much if any legwork to find the answer for themself, a sentiment which will only annoy people, when has it not? Perhaps the thought of the same SGC holder (however inaccurate, I don't know you) roaming about the countryside without a clear idea of what is and isn't legal is a touch unsavoury.

Standing by for a selectively quoted reply though, if I was you I'd quit while I was ahead, presumably you have an abundant knowledge now. Like I said, please take this in the spirit its intended.

Edited by Ninj

stop being an a55hole and answer the question or if you don't like it ignore it....

a forum is for discussion...

I'm more put out by his response than the fact that he did ask - a little bit of contrition and then healthy planning of a newbie section would've been great, but a bit much to ask it seems.

And the original question did not give room for discussion or opinion, which are some of the most important things in a forum. It was a request for a factual list. He didn't say "I see on the list that the season differs by x days for z animal. Anyone care to talk about why?"

If there was a very comprehensive newbie section and the replies to this thread had been "Check the newbie section" would we still be having this issue?

The tone in which this post seems to have been replied to makes me relucant to ask a question as a 'newbie shooter' in fear of not knowing the answer in the first place - I'm in much the same situation and am new to the sport, have had lessons, been out with experienced shooters on more than one occasion. I don't know all the answers either, and I hope that if I ever post a question that is regarded to be daft or brainless to the enlightened and experienced, that I receive a more sympathetic and guided reply.

To paraphrase Albert Einstein,

I don't profess to know all the answers but I know where to look :lol: - a good starter for ten is to ask the experienced on this forum. Thank you to the patient and informed in advance :good:

Doc Savage

To GJUK, sort the wheat from the chaff here, I'm not intending to offend, but come on mate, did you really expect nobody to pull the "have a search for yourself" card? I think, judging by some replies, you've actually got off lightly.

I know, maybe I've just been lazy. It's just the easiest way to access the information for me.

GJUK,

good on you and your responses to the hecklers and moaners have made me chuckle....

:good:

I'll try and reduce the number of 'stupid' questions, I think I've asked most of the ones I need to for the time being anyhow.

Thank you all for your dedicated attention.

Jon

There is little purpose in allowing this topic to continue.

The purpose of a forum is to display useful information not an arena for people to throw mud at each other.

Some basic questions do seem to be asked an awful lot and it can be frustrating. But it is better to hold ones tongue than it is to delve in with flippant comments. However, some members do seem to excel in asking basic questions that could be answered simply with a search and/or a little research on specific websites.

You might also consider that taking the time to research things properly, is a far better way of learning and remembering something as important as the law and what you are legally allowed to shoot.

A newbie section, whilst seemingly a good idea, is needless. We have various forums that are split into specific topical areas. Each has a section with pinned topics which we consider to be useful and/or popular. Anyone wishing to compose a suitable topic can do so and request it to be pinned. But you should remember that it would be irresponsible to pin any information that is not accurate or subject to change without notice.