adopting a dog

lister1

I may have the opportunity to adopt a bitch from a member of my family, she's a 5yr pointer, unfortunately they have two dogs aswell and when she's in season they fight like mad and due to work commitment they can no longer give her the exercise she needs. My only worry is that because she's been kept with other dogs all her live, will she be ok on her own?

She would be on her own for about 5 hours a day and obviously at night. She fetches well sits and heels well but has never been worked, is it too late to train her further, I only go rough shooting and pigeon decoying.

She is a beautifull girl and it's a shame she's just stuck in a kennel all day. :)

Any opinions would be great.

Edited by lister1

I'd be carefull, my GWP isn't great left on her own she's getting better but isn't keen. Generally she stays inside and has the cats for company so isn't entirely on her own but had she been used to company she will miss it.

Best option would be to see if you could get a trial, make sure she is well exercised before you leave and see what happens, may be fine but she may cry for England.

My GWP has two other dogs for company I know if she was left on her own she would bark and howl until the others came back.

As for hunting with her well nature is a powerful thing and if its in her she'll hunt and point. One of the lads here got a setter recently which was 2 years old in a yard all its Life and didn't even know what a pheasant was. First day out he was setting pheasants like he was doing it all his life. At 5yrs of age she should be in her prime.

The one thing I'ld be wary of is the fact that they weren't working her was it for a reason? is she gunshy? or did something happen in the past that they weren't bringing her out. If you are thinking of firing a shot over her be sure to read NTTFs pinned topic on introducing gunfire to dogs, I nearly made a **** of mine last year but she's alright now. GWPs are a very nervous type of dog and introducing gunfire has to be done properly.

Good luck whatever you decide they are a fantastic dog!

Edited by deeksofdoom