New To The Game

dibbz2000

Well when I say new, I mean Ive just got my licence. Im 17 years old and own a farm with a lot of arable land. On it we have wheat and barly, and some ajoining fields have rape, to which I have permission to shoot on. Ive got a standard Side by Side "Farmers"!! shotgun and have been shoooting woodies and rooks for years but not having major succes. When is the best time of year to shoot on these crops, and during the winter months whats the best plan (time of day, area) to have a few hours sport. We have a lot of woodland surrounding many of the above fields. Also what cartrdiges do you all use. For rabbits I use 4's and birds 6/7s. Is this right?

I also shoot Rabbits/foxes & squirrils, SO any help on these quarrys would be appreciated.

Regards

Martin Powell

Mid-Wales

:blink:

the carts your using are fine but as paul said id take a good look through past posts. the one advantage is that you have a farm therefore do not need to get permission :blink: when you seed or cut your crops you should get pigeons coming in. what you need is to do a recce around and note down places that look like sporting opportunities. then you need to get some decoys, hide poles, camo netting and a lot of carts. ??? Only then will you learn the way of the pigeon hunter :blink:

Well i will try and help the shot size you are using is fine for the foxes i would suggest size 4 and below ( i have shot foxes in the past with size 6 and it works fine very limited range though ) for squirrels then the same for pigeons will knock them over fine, if you are just starting i would say the best thing to do is just sit for a few hours and watch flight lines ( if you didn't know they are just basically a specific route pigeons take and they may use it for weeks or just a couple of days depending on were they are feeding) well on saturday i am hoping to go decoying over some knocked down maze at about 8 in the morning then at about 2 we are going to the woods to roost shoot, so if you go decoying then watch the field and record the rough times they come in then the next day get down there about an hour early to get set up then if you go roost shooting get up the woods at about 2 hope this helps thanx

jason

I dont believe a farmer knows nowt about shooting!!

Dave

For your information, Dave. I am not a farmer. I am a farmers son. I have had an interest in hunting since I was a kid, Have spent countless days out in the fields with both my shotgun and air rifle, and have bagged countless numbers of quarry from Squirrells to foxes and everything inbetween. I was just asking the opinion of the people in this board as they may have had more lucky experiences and leanrt from them.

So please think about what your saying before you just spit it out

Regards

Martin

Edited by dibbz2000

Martin,

I do think it was said it jest to be honest - look at the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence.

It is sometimes easy to misinterpret what people are saying on forums, I'm sure no harm was meant by it.

Now you've given a better explanation of your experiences people can come up with some answers for you.

Welcome to the forum :blink:

I dont believe a farmer knows nowt about shooting!!

Dave

For your information, Dave. I am not a farmer. I am a farmers son. I have had an interest in hunting since I was a kid, Have spent countless days out in the fields with both my shotgun and air rifle, and have bagged countless numbers of quarry from Squirrells to foxes and everything inbetween. I was just asking the opinion of the people in this board as they may have had more lucky experiences and leanrt from them.

So please think about what your saying before you just spit it out

Regards

Martin

Dont get snoty young man, in your first post you said you owned a farm. The comment was part in jest and part in pure wonderment (if that is a word). You probably know as much or more than many on here so I commend you on your thirst for knowledge. :blink:

Dave

kEEP YOUR NICHERS ON DIIBS they just messing around with you because you new (and we jealous of you, you got land to shoot on and you don't need permission ).

Trust me when I say that we are all a good friendly buch that we always there in case you need help and suggestions.

Cheers

Marco

P.S.

when you are going to invite us all on a shooting day on your fathers land

:blink: ??? :blink: :blink: :) :( :D:/ :( :lol: