My best day this year

The Sniper

After five outings this year ( when the total number of pigeons for them is one :) ) I joined my shooting mate, this morning. He had been looking at some new fields we have, yesterday, and he showed me a small corner of a 40 acre field of OSR. There were a about 30 pigeons sat in the nearby trees and that was all. This was about 10.00am.

He went off to a spot he had selected, about a mile away, and I watched the corner for about 15 minutes. Sure enough one or two pigeons flew down into this corner. So I made the decision to have a go. That was exactly my attitude as I did not expect anything, in view of recent performance.

There was nowhere to get into the hedge, on this corner, so I stuck the hide out from the hedge into the field.

I put out the rotor and shell decoys and, shortly afterwards, a pigeon flew straight into my killing zone. Brilliant :blink: . Then another :blink: . This went on for about 1 1/2 hours. Then the dreaded lull came about. I decided to stay as I was sure they would have to come back and feed sometime. Wrong :blink: . They never came back in any numbers at all.

I packed up at 4.00pm. But I had thoroughly enjoyed the day, even though I was frozen. I ended up with 15 pigeons for 21 shots.

The important thing to me was that my confidence in my tactics and shooting have been restored, as they have taken a serious dent over the past few outings.

P.S. My mate never fired a shot ???