Advice Needed

Fishleigh

Hi, ive had dogs all my life, but now the season is almost over for pheasant shooting ive decided id like to buy a puppy and train her as a gundog.

ive read books, watched dvds and asked friends on how to train dogs. i was wandering if you would be able to advise me on which breed of dog i should start of with.

ive been told either a springer spaniel, or a labrador basicaly. whats your opinion? thanks

Firstly don't believe the hype about springers, the one I have was my first dog and while he will never win a field trial he is a damn good shooting dog. My advice would be to get whichever breed you like and will suit your lifestyle and what sort of shooting you will be doing. If you are standing on a peg then get a lab, if you are roughshooting then get a springer.

You will need a bit more time to dedicate to a springer as they are a bit more active but either one will serve you well.

i have a lab mate and he's great was easy to train

but

i,ve just bought a springer pup as well , shes completely different to how the lab was , she's totally mental :thanks:

just hope a bit of training and time will calm her down and turn her into a decent rough shooting , beating and pigeon dog :rolleyes:

personally i dont think theres much difference training wise whether u get a dog or a bitch, people say bitches are less head strong but ive yet to see it. just make sure u get 1 from good breeding and the rest is up to you. i've got an 11 month old springer and he's a handful at times but you can tell he's gonna be a good dog once he matures. Reckon i'll try a lab puppy once the springer is a bit older though just to see which i prefer really.

i went to a breeder on tuesday, he showed me a litter of 7week old springer pups. a black and white dog came over to me first. i was tempted then and there but im planning on having a look first doing a bit of reading and just trying to think what i need, looking at the springers parents i think i could be looking for a springer, nice size nice dogs

Always had Springers, well for over 20 years. Decided to get a Cocker back in 2006. Now in my opinion they have a heart as big as a lion and always wants to please. Big cock birds no trouble for her to retrieve, fearless in cover, swims well and steady on the peg.

I won't be getting a Lab until I'm old and senile, they do nothing for me seeing them plodding along. The cover down here suits a Spaniel and the busyness of them, I could watch a good spaniel Quest all day.

Guess what I'm out with the best dog I've ever owned now for the next 3 days. She'll be knackered at the end of the day but she'll be re-energised by the next day.

She can have Feb off sat in a hide pigeon shooting.

Cockers for me now :wacko:

the saying goes a Lab is born half trained and a springer dies half trained, and it is pretty true. If you want a hard working very active hunting dog then get a springer. But if you want an easy to train dog that will retrieve and will sit on peg all day without making a noise then get a lab