FAC application questions

sirnovember

I've just under 1500 acres of land to shoot pigeons on and I'm now considering applying for a FAC . I was thinking of applying for either a 22lr or a 17HMR, preferabally the 22LR though. The land I shoot over is not in my county, it's about a 35min drive from me. Would this be a problem? Also, the landowner has said I can use a rimfire for shooting ground game there no problem, I just don't think he is one to bother with writing letters of permission and so forth. Is it compulsory to have a written letter or can the FEO just phone him up?

I've held a SGC for over a year now.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Apply for both, 22 and 17. Reasons being that you want to shoot short and long range vermin.

You might also consider getting a centrefire too, as I'm sure there'll be a few charlies on there too.

Not sure about the county thing. I'm sure there'll be a person on here who lives on a boarder of a county who shoots cross-county.

The permission letter takes about 2 mins (it is compulsory, as it is your reason for needing an FAC(unless you have a target club, but you won't get expanding ammo for that)) to fill out. It's a standard police one; Name, address, acres and your name and calibre of guns.

Edited by harfordwmj

He does not want the foxes shot for osme reason, just rabbits and winged vermin. I've heard mixed reviews about the 17HMR. Some say they cause too much meat damage.

The bullets don't seem to do as much damage as they used to. If you've got both calibres on your ticket, you'll see the advantage you have with both, as the 22lr begins to feel more and more like a pop gun the more you use the 17...!

There's no harm in applying for both, the police can only say no. They seem to be favouring the 17 anyway, as the 22lr has it's tendency to ricochet quite a bit.

Still put down for fox, as you might get more permission and it'll cost you £26 to just have fox added to your ticket.

The permission letter takes about 2 mins (it is compulsory,

no its not.

Well what did you do for your FAC then? You need to have a 'good reason' to own a FAC, so as I said in my post, if you're not part of a target club, you need a permission slip. (unless you're a landowner)

Edited by harfordwmj

Well what did you do for your FAC then? You need to have a 'good reason' to own a FAC, so as I said in my post, if you're not part of a target club, you need a permission slip. (unless you're a landowner)

Where in the giudance does it state that signed permission is a requirement?

many Firearms depts are insisting on it but that's for their convenience (and it makes it a smoother process) but technically all that is required is the landowners name, address and phone number and then its up to the inquiry officer to contact them.

Name, address, and phone number of landowner is sufficient.

that's what i did.

'good reason' Does NOT mean permission must be in writing.

check the firearms guidance.

Edited by markbivvy

Dont worry about the noise or the meat damage with the HMR. I was taken out on saturday night buy a very kind local who has HMR and when head shot there is no problem such so that he gets £1 a bunny in the jacket, pee`d and gutted.

The noise in a large open field was in my mind some where between to my .410 scilenced .410. its now going to be my tool of choice.

My other advice would be rather than asking loads of opions and getting confused etc by them, try to find someone local to you as I did and see if you can get out with them and whitness the HMR in action and that way you can form your own opinion and will know if its what you want to go for. :rolleyes:

I've seen both the 22lr and the 17HMR. The 22lr limits you with range I know, but it is quiet and causes hardly any meat damage. I'll just apply for both and see what happens.

I'm looking foward to using the rifle on the old crows anyway :rolleyes:

Edited by sirnovember

Where in the giudance does it state that signed permission is a requirement?

many Firearms depts are insisting on it but that's for their convenience (and it makes it a smoother process) but technically all that is required is the landowners name, address and phone number and then its up to the inquiry officer to contact them.

• the enquiry form should specifically require the enquiry officer to name the club or clubs whose membership was relied on in showing ‘good reason’ and the means by which the applicant’s current membership was vouched to his satisfaction (paragraph 6.77);

13.1 This Chapter sets out:

• the issues that chief officers will wish to

consider in assessing “good reason†in

individual cases; and

• advises on the more common “good

reasons†that the Home Office would

consider proper for the possession of

particular firearms and ammunition.

Introduction

13.2 Under section 27(1)(:rolleyes: of the 1968 Act,

firearm certificates shall be granted by chief

officers of police if they are satisfied that

applicants have a “good reason†for having

in their possession, or for purchasing or

acquiring, the firearm or ammunition in

respect of which applications are made. Apart

from assessing fitness to possess firearms,

“good reason†is one of the most substantial

and complex areas of discretion that chief

officers may exercise in licensing firearms.

13.3 This guidance is not exhaustive, and

chief officers of police will encounter cases

not covered here where they may properly

judge that “good reason†is proven. Each

case must be judged on its own merits, being

mindful of the consistent administration of

the Acts and the need to provide fair and

equitable treatment to all applicants.

13.4 Apart from having a “good reason†in

principle, an applicant’s reasons for owning

firearms should be genuine and substantial.

Chief officers of police should exercise caution

in dealing with cases where the applicant

presents a nominal reason for possessing

firearms but may have ulterior motives. The

police will be expected to make reasonable

inquiries to verify the applicant’s “good

reason†for the possession of firearms. This

may include a request for written authorities

where possible; verification of the likelihood

of the quarry species being present; the

suitability of land for the firearms requested

commensurate with the applicant’s experience;

their authority to shoot on the land; and, in

the case of target shooters, verification of club

membership and shooting activities.

I may have said it's compulsory, I was a bit wrong, however as I did say, you need to have a good reason, so if you're shooting on someone else's land, a letter will be required as it says " This may include a request for written authorities where possible" So seeing as this is a 'where possible' situation, as there is a landowner, who can read, write and comprehend a permission letter, I think they will want him to have a letter at the ready.

goodness me there is some rubbish talked on here sometimes.

You do NOT need permission in writing nor do changes of conditions cost £26. ie if you wish to add fox or anything else to your conditions in the future it's free..

Just fill out your application and put the farmers name and address in the appropriate section, job done.

HO guidelines suggest .22rf ammo as 500 buy and 750 keep.

You do NOT need permission in writing nor do changes of conditions cost £26. ie if you wish to add fox or anything else to your conditions in the future it's free..

Just fill out your application and put the farmers name and address in the appropriate section, job done.

Absolutely spot on !

D the refs have to send off the forms and photo's?

Or can I send it all of together?

Your referees MUST send their forms directly to the Firearms Licensing Dept and you should not be allowed to see

them beforehand.

Supply them with an SAE to make life easier and ensure they get the correct address.

My FEO recommended i changed my grant application from Buy 500 - 1000 and store 1500 - 2500!

The licencing dept had their own ideas tho and allowed me to purchase 1000 and hold 1500 in .22lr, and 500 and 1500 in hmr.

I had a relatively smooth initial grant application for my co term SGC & FAC.

I applied for:

17 hmr

22 lr

22 wmr Barrel

243 &

All was granted with mods and exp ammunition in three weeks from start to finish with Sussex Police. The only issue i had was when the Kent officer went to visit our permission without an appointment and scared the daylights out of the farmers wife, but that is another story that dunganick and i should probably start as there are ongoing issues with other people and the Kent FEO in the area.

I too typed a letter for the landowner to sign, just to speed things through.

Good luck, if you are well organisied it is relatively straight forward.