Permisions / or lack of ! ! ! !

Salop Matt

Hay folks its really starting to to drag my moral right down, I have one permision that is FAC approved and its not exactly teaming with bunnys ATM.

I have had a couple of door knocking sessions with no luck the replys am getting are :

* Sorry we now belong to a big estate and they dont allow any shooting.

* Sorry we have a game keeper.

* Sorry we dont want anyone shooting the land.

* sorry some else already shoots it.

I know of one fantastic farm with loads of ground and loads of bunnys but the current keeper on it despite being a family friend who I roost shoot with will not allow me to share the permision, even with the permision of the land owner. Its daft really as i would be out maybe once or twice a month at most only taking upto 5 bunnys at a time, hardly steeling his sport or wiping out the large numbers there !

Can any one offer any further advice ? Am BASC insured a SGC holder, shooting for 10 years andabout to be FAC`d to.

Am planning on knocking up a A5 poster to put up saying who I am and what am after and put it up in some local farm shops and agricultural shops. I might even ask our dogs vet and see if they know any farmers they could put me in touch with.

Guest topshot_2k

my advice would be get in with the keeper if thats whats stopping the farmer letting you shoot, they have a tough job so if you help them out for free you might just get a look in.

my advice would be get in with the keeper if thats whats stopping the farmer letting you shoot, they have a tough job so if you help them out for free you might just get a look in.

Unfortuantly the keeper doesnt want any help and wont budge on letting someone else on the land.

For me the rough shooting iv always loved so much seems to be dwindling and the rest spoilt .I cant help but think i may be as well to turn my back on it and still to clays.

:good:

This is a subject dear to my heart, and I have commented before on this forum about this. I will repeat here the points I have made in the past, running the risk of a repeat of the comments I had last time!

There is only so much land in the UK and it is getting less each year. Granted people are naturally protective of their permissions, but the fact is that we need to share with each other for two reasons.

Firstly it lets more of us have access to shooting

Secondly it will arguably give the land owner better pest control

A real example – the little club I am a member of shoot over two small farms that back onto each other totalling about 150 acres between them, and another 50 acre wood that is about half a mile from the two farms. There are 20 of us in the club that have access to the shooting, and I can tell you now that for every 10 times I go on the land I meet another club member maybe three times1 Not exactly over shot!

Now any one of us could easily afford the ‘rent’ on all three or any of the three permission on our own - but why should we? By sharing 20 guys have got shooting.

David

I've been having the same issue, so I sent out letters to 40 farms all within 10 miles of where I live, I’ve had at least 20 back saying thanks but no thanks or we will keep your number in case something comes up. But the one I did get back was a result, its only 400 acres but it’s cleared for .243 as the estate its part of also has dear stalking on it. No one touches the pigeons so happy days....oh and its part of a 78,000 acre estate so figures crossed it will lead to bigger things.. :good:

If anyone wants a copy just PM me.

Now any one of us could easily afford the ‘rent’ on all three or any of the three permission on our own - but why should we? By sharing 20 guys have got shooting.

David

I agree with David, I’ve taken several people on the forum to my permissions; I’m even trying to get one or two of them in the group.

One of my permissions is 500 Acres and me and Evil Elvis (introduced him to the permission) shoot it often but very rarely do we see one of the other 20 people on it..

So come on all open up those permission…

What also confuses me is farmers that wont shoot there land or let anyone else do it.

Another place i know the keeper rarely gets out has masses of land and masses of bunnys but wont let even friends of 20 + years share it. I only look to get out once a month for a bag of 5 bunnys unless i were asked to do more . This keeper is happy that once a year for 4 saturdays in february 8 of us roost shoot but thats it.

Another one isnt bothered about pest control and despite being a family friend for years who my dad has done alot of work very cheap on or even free at the drop of a hat will only allow occaional air rifle use by me and my dad and again have known them 20+ years.

Its as if they also couldnt comprehend the fact am not interested in game, only rabbit, crow, pigeon and fox on top of the above and the one farm doesnt have a shoot either. They all know am BASC insured and always refer to myself and dad in a very good light from the times we have shot there before, its pretty much double standards.

Also embarassing that i know about 6 farmers / land owners who always speak well of me yet yet I have no land to shoot on and non that would be happy to allow me use a FAC on there land.

Am going to canvass the local area , large estate shoots or not ! :good:

I've been having the same issue, so I sent out letters to 40 farms all within 10 miles of where I live, I’ve had at least 20 back saying thanks but no thanks

Blimey you did well to get 20 replies, I sent out about 100 letters out and didn't get any replies.

The only time I have got permission is when I have asked in person. I hate having to do it but it works if you get them on a good day.

I have another post somewhere saying this but all the farms, golf courses etc I tried near me I have had no luck whatsoever but an hours drive into the real countryside I got 2 yeses straight away.

What also confuses me is farmers that wont shoot there land or let anyone else do it.

Another place i know the keeper rarely gets out has masses of land and masses of bunnys but wont let even friends of 20 + years share it. I only look to get out once a month for a bag of 5 bunnys unless i were asked to do more . This keeper is happy that once a year for 4 saturdays in february 8 of us roost shoot but thats it.

Another one isnt bothered about pest control and despite being a family friend for years who my dad has done alot of work very cheap on or even free at the drop of a hat will only allow occaional air rifle use by me and my dad and again have known them 20+ years.

Its as if they also couldnt comprehend the fact am not interested in game, only rabbit, crow, pigeon and fox on top of the above and the one farm doesnt have a shoot either. They all know am BASC insured and always refer to myself and dad in a very good light from the times we have shot there before, its pretty much double standards.

Also embarassing that i know about 6 farmers / land owners who always speak well of me yet yet I have no land to shoot on and non that would be happy to allow me use a FAC on there land.

Am going to canvass the local area , large estate shoots or not ! :hmm:

What you must remember Most gamekeepers will give you naff all unless they are getting something out of it. I bet if you offered him a bung then he would let you go.

Always harder to get rifle permission though, a lot of farmers around my neck of the woods won't have foxes shot but as for rabbits and pigeon then be their guest!!!!!

Edited by starlight32