Fox and Deer

David BASC

This is the first I've heard of this....I've just applied for my variation, 223 for fox and 243 for deer and I'm getting a little worried about this(must be accompanied issue)

I best phone him as i dont have anyone to shoot deer with so by rights i would be breaking the law with a firearm..scary stuff.

HAWKEYE, I think we have the same FLO, but the guy seems great to me, never mentioned any restrictions, all he wanted was to give the land owner a call but I'm going to check this out, spoil my day big time if mine!!

Great Thread!!

had my fac back on friday gwent police took about nine days it says the 243 and sound moderator and relevant ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for deer stalking/fox control and for zeroing on land which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm no mention of mentoring

Just had my renewal...discussed with FEO the options next renewal to add a 6.5x55 for deer/fox. stated that caliber would be ok for both...but added the accompanied part for the deer. when i asked him how long i would need the accompanied condition he stated that as soon as the experienced stalker is ok with me s/he can write a letter in to the police [lancashire], stating that i am competent and they will keep it on record and remove the need for being accompanied...doesnt matter if its after the first stalk or the 21st?:yp:

This is the first I've heard of this....I've just applied for my variation, 223 for fox and 243 for deer and I'm getting a little worried about this(must be accompanied issue)

I best phone him as i dont have anyone to shoot deer with so by rights i would be breaking the law with a firearm..scary stuff.

HAWKEYE, I think we have the same FLO, but the guy seems great to me, never mentioned any restrictions, all he wanted was to give the land owner a call but I'm going to check this out, spoil my day big time if mine!!

Great Thread!!

If its Bruce yes i agree he is OK it isnt him that will not give vermin on 223 because it is overkill its the office he is only the messenger.

I would be interested to see if your 223 has vermin on..or just the same as mine fox..please could you let me know.. :welcomeani:

Edited by hawkeye

Having read thro' some of these posts I feel very lucky being in Leicestershire! :welcomeani: I put in for a .308 for deer and got it. The only conditions were that they have said the .308 is for shooting deer or zeroing on a range only - I think this condition could be removed as I read somewhere that the law had changed where the calibre of rifle was not restricted i.e. if you were stalking deer and happened to spot a fox then you had the choice to use that rifle on the fox. The other condition was that it had to be deemed suitable by the chief of police. I must admit I wasn't expecting this condition as I have held an FAC for over 5 years but thinking about it I assume you must own that calibre of rifle for this long before it becomes open - as with my rimfires.