snow/wabbits

myzeneye

You'll find that they will be more likely to have wondered into a nearby wood, if there is one.

Though not ideal for airguns, if you have a shotgun you can walk through woods in conditions like this for rabbits, with them bolting back out of the warm woods.

mmm :) "crunch, crunch ,crunch ,crunch....." stalking is hard in the snow.....

you can see the bleeders fine, they're out and about, tracks everywhere.... but they can gear you coming a loooonnng way off..... impossible with 12ftlbs.... too cold to sit it out aswell....

learnt a few valuables tonight.....

sound doesnt carry too far, but crunching snow under your feet is bad. normal shooting clothing stands out in snow ( obviously)... rabbits are easy to spot in contrast to the snow.... tracks are easier to spot, so a well planned sit off could be productive....

lesson learnt.... :)

I think i'm going to give the bunnies and the roosters a go tomorrow. Mainly the Pigeon as i can slowly wander through the woods and pik them off at my disposal :)

Just wandering what to wear as i only have army issue camo's. Not worth investing in snow camo for the amount i'd use it me thinks

Lewis

Ah well the rabbit shooting didn't go so well, so i decided to try take out some rook which turned out to be a nice woodie spot at about 4:00 woodies kept landing in the trees. Managed to get 3 woodies and just as i left at 4:30 another 4 landed.

Think i will be going there again some time this week for an evening :good:

Nicely done 03luffmb! I learnt alot today myself. Went up to my shoot with my partner to have a nice day in the snow but took my old rifle just in case something popped up :good: She doesn't mind which is good! I took it not hoping for a shot but just for a wander to learn about whats about in this weather. Well... countless pigeon in the trees and a few tree rats jumping about. Nice and easy to follow as they nock the snow ou the trees :blink: Didn't have a pop at anything, just remembered locations. I need to do this more often as i think my shoots would be much more sucessful. I also achieved a 15mm 3 shot group at 40yards with my SMK XS20. And some say they are ****!

Boring story over

Lewis

mmm :good: "crunch, crunch ,crunch ,crunch....." stalking is hard in the snow.....

you can see the bleeders fine, they're out and about, tracks everywhere.... but they can gear you coming a loooonnng way off..... impossible with 12ftlbs.... too cold to sit it out aswell....

learnt a few valuables tonight.....

sound doesnt carry too far, but crunching snow under your feet is bad. normal shooting clothing stands out in snow ( obviously)... rabbits are easy to spot in contrast to the snow.... tracks are easier to spot, so a well planned sit off could be productive....

lesson learnt.... :good:

I went out during the day yesterday 3rd Feb on one of my permissions and marked on a google map where the main rabbit marks and warrerns were. Will help me in the Spring.

Then that night I went out to an exposed new apple plantation with my IR at 19:00 and DOH!

Crunch Crunch, hey here I am!!!!!

Got one rabbit but they could see and hear me long way away.

Still I had a fox in the sights but with a 12 foot pounds air rifle it was just nice to see it walk around. If I had a go I was worried if I shot it, it would for a laugh bite me in the ****!

Carbon

I also had a good watch of a fox two nights ago through my air rifle scope! I had a great night lamping, the stalk in the snow was mostly silent because it was powdery snow. Where it had frozen too it was crunch crunch then! got 6 bunnies though a big night for me, they were organic, because its an organic farm if they wernt rabbit pie by now do you think the butcher would give me a premium for them?!!

SP

• 3 weeks later...

you can never call wild animals organic as you cant say that they havent eaten crops from a non-organic source - stupid really since wild rabbit is always beter than farmed, wild duck is always better, wild fish is always better too.

If wild animals live how nature intended whats the deal with organic?