Locating NPPC land?

I've went to West Haddon with OCHRE yesterday we met at 7.00am looking forward for a nice shooting day but what we founded exstremely difficult was finding the right field and trust me really frustrating as new commers in the NPPC club.

The problem is that when I've printed out the map for the area, it doesn't show the exact field/s where we can shoot but shows several fields.What we thought that any of them were good enough but thanks God we asked a farmer that wasn't so please to know that we nearly arm trespass his land, but gave us a tip were to find some farmers with OSR that probally were inerested to get rid of a few pigeons. We found this other farmer that had some OSR but no pigeons at all and this was NPPC land and with two problems: a) two very small field, ;) two footpath in the fields well used, as soon we arrived on the first field 3 hikers appeared on the path, at this point was 08.15 am and we decided to call John from NPPC that as usual very helpfull and told us were another field was. We had the map for this one but same problem on the map shows several field at this point we manage to find the owner that directed us on the right fields.

I think that John does't realise how difficult and frustrating it is, specially after 2-3 hours of research (take to account that we are begginners). For the amount of money that we have paid it would be much apreciate a much better and detailed system for finding the fields.

This it's not a complain about NPPC but the type of system used, if anyone have any suggestion please let me know and we could try to talk to John for a better system, specially when we are going in fields that we never been.

Cheers

Marco :lol:

Marco

What you describe is exactly the reason that i have not joined NPPC

It is fine if you go with an existing member for the first time and get to know the area a bit

But those of us without good map reading skills could end up in a lot of trouble.

I would suggest that John introduces new members to old ones and use the buddy to learn how to get to the fields

The only other option is to Buy one of those GPS gadgets which tell you where you are :lol:

Marco/hunter

Never had any probs myself because I always MAKE SURE I am familar with all the fields in the areas in which I prefer to shoot LONG BEFORE I plan on having a day out with the old shotgun.

It's worth checking them all out because usually there are some which I would never ever shoot over, as I think you found to your cost!

Today's tally was 18 pigeons and two crows near Howden - with nppc!!

Pete.

Use a landranger map to find you way near the area and use the ordnance survey site get a map service to print out a detailed 1:25000 map which gives you details of the fields. I have shot in West Haddon and found it fairly easy to locate the field with a 1:25000 map. Although, I do a bit of trekking as well for which I have a handheld GPS so normally I don't run into problems.