Retrieving Problems

Robby22

Hi,

I have a 20 mth old golden retriever which Im trying to do a bit of training with, Im new to this so bare with me if ive done anything wrong, so far the dog is obedient, she also fetches tennis balls when in the house (have only done it 3 or four times a week for the last 2-3months), at the weekend I took her up to the farm an threw a dummy for her-she ran up to it and then just stood looking around, second attempt she brought it back and made a fuss of her an thought id cracked it then for the next 2 throws she did the same as in the first instance, so I abandoned it for the day.

How can I encourage her to bring it back (like with the tennis ball inside) and to keep her concentrated?

Regards

Robby22

im no expert by a long way, but at the mo im introducing fur retrieves to my 11 month spaniel and in "joe irving's" book it says 2 throw the fur dummy and as soon as its brought back throw the actual rabbit in the opposite direction and send 4 the retrieve and fingers crossed they should bring it back. so i suppose you could try it with the ball and dummy as well? :good: and as sundowner says do it in a familiar place.

Hi,

don't worry about it, you have just tkane youre dogs favourite toy away and replaced wit with something far less interesting. Ditch the tennis balls. Don't worry about any formality and just let your dog have some fun with the dummy for a while.

Not sure if you know but a mate of mine runs gundog training classes from his farm on a Sunday just outside Howden. He is the BASC regional gundog rep and very good at it.

Ian

Hi,

thanks for the replies,

Sundowner: it is an old dummy im using so think Il try a new one with the step by step approach

cat amongst the pigeons: Il be trying that when I introduce her to fur retrieves.

Malinois: If I start running into problems I cant get around Il bare your mate in mind (as its always good to know, where an who to see)

Thanks again guys

ATB

Robby22

Familiarize the dog with the dummy in the house, then once the dog is retrieving the dummy ok at home, progress to throwing the dummy up an alleyway, a one way alleyway, like at the side of your house with a gate on one side or something.

Throw it towards the gate/wall away from you, send the dog for the retrieve, there is no other distractions for the dog, and once the dummy is picked up, the only way the dog can go is back towards you....Minimum distraction, easy for your dog to understand. This encourages a good solid retrieve, also, it encourages a 'straight to you' retrieve....Not via every interesting sight/smell!

Hope this helps.

Bear in mind, retrieving takes longer for some dogs to grasp than others, also, don't over do it....And don't lose your temper with the dog.

• 1 month later...

hi,

Well I said id let u know how I was getting on so:

First of all, I bought a new dummy for her and let her play with (when she comes in the house). Then started throwing it for her in living room, which worked well, then moved out in to the garden which also worked, so after a couple of weeks in the garden I took her up to the farm on sat morning. She retrieved the first 3 or 4 then ran up to it an just left it, I decided to call it a day, and had another go sunday afternoon, and she was almost perfect-think I threw the dummy a 7 or 8 times, an each time she retrieved it.

So decided to throw a wood pigeon straight after the dummy, she ran up to it but then just came back like she wasnt interested?? threw the pigeon another couple of times and was the same each time, what (in your opinions) is stopping her from picking dead stuff? Am I trying to do too much with her at once?

Thanks

Robby22

A couple of pics from sunday.

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

Going a little too fast there Robby. You can over do it with sending the dog out for continuous retrieves. 3 or 4 retrieves in a session is more than adequate. Keep the training sessions short and fun for the dog. And make sure you vary the training.

As for breaking a dog to retrieving birds, try putting the pigeon in your wifes old pair of tights...Bear with me on this! Put the pigeon in a n old pair of tights and slit two holes big enough for the wings to poke through. tie a knot in the end and cut off the surplus stocking, if your dog picks up a pigeon and gets a mouth full of feathers, this could well put her right off retrieving birds. You can progress with this by exposing a little more of the pigeon after every few training sessions.

And as alrweady mentioned, try a rabbit fur wrapped around a dummy too, but most importantly of all, stick to 3, maybe 4 retrieves during your training sessions, and vary the retrieves, try throwing it in thin cover from time to time etc etc.

You are taking too big of steps. As has been said work her with the dummy for a bit and then add wings to the dummy. when she is happy retrieving that move to a pigeon in a stocking, this keeps her from getting too many small feathers in her mouth. Then move to a pigeon free. Be sure to just toss the new items a few feet...8 to 10 feet is plenty to start before you extend the retrieves out. When extending them take your time and increase the distance slowly.

NTTF

As has been said above ..... you are too fast. As to the pigeon retrieve, get a pigeon and an old nylon stocking, shove the pigeon into it and then throw it. Remember , to most dogs ................... pigeons STINK !!!! and the feathers come off to easy, not pleasant for any dog!

Keep the good work up :good:

Try taking the dog for a walk and at some point with the dog at heal, drop (or little throw) the dummy to your side (letting the dog see it go), tell it to "Leave" and carry on walking with the dog at heal. Then about fifteen yards on, stop and turn the dog round back to where the dummy was dropped and send dog back. If it doesn't come straight back to you walk slowly backwards, keeping low and encouraging the dog - NEVER go towards the dog to take the dummy. Do this 3 or 4 times during a normal walk and lengthen the distance slowly. Also helps steadiness with the leave command.

Hope this helps

Gillaroo