A lamping session and a morning return

kip270

Had a phone call last night from the Game keeper “there is a dead ewe in the calfing field, I asked the farmer to leave it there, do you fancy a trip out tonight†well he didn’t have to ask me twice.

I purchased a new red filter for my lazer-lite, so tonight was the first chance I had to get out and use it.

Myself and the keeper were the riflemen while Dan was on the lamp.

The weather was cold but dry, a full moon and some snow in places, which was like walking on 2ft of egg shells!!!!!

We scanned the area where the ewe was but nothing, I had a few calls with the WAM call and still no signs of a fox, scanning the other fields Dan spotted a fox close to a wood, but we could only see it’s eye’s.

Stalking along a hedgerow we tried to get closer, but the wind wasn’t on our side, and the fox wasn’t at all interested in the call, just lying there and looking at us now and again, so we carried on and tried to get within range.

We got as close as we could without the fox making off, so I settled down on the varmint sticks, the fox was roughly 200 yards away, and would only look at us now & again, so I made a “mmeeeooww†and it looked at me, then turned away, so I done it again and it looked at me, I squeezed off my shot and missed!!!!!

We carried on and came to a small rise that would give us a good vantage point overlooking four fields, Dan scanned around, but nothing, so I gave a few calls on the WAM, and Dan spotted a fox coming out of small wood, so I carried on with the call and the fox came out into the field, I pinged it with the range finder 217 yards. The keeper settled down on a fence post, the fox was making off so I “meeoowwweedd†and the fox stopped, “BANG†the fox dropped on the spot, a Dog Fox.

Myfoxcalls002-1.jpg

We spotted another fox down by the farm yard, but it wasn’t a safe shot.

On the way home I mentioned that I may go back up the farm in the morning……

I got up the farm at 6am, it was cold and still dark, sunrise wasn’t until 7am, so I settled down and waited, scanning the area with the bins for any foxes, I settled down and looked at the ewe and something looked odd. Then the figure of a fox became clear, I got down to the rifle but couldn’t see it clear enough, so it was a waiting game, I needed more light to take the shot.

The fox started to move off, I gave a few calls but it wasn’t interested, and made off to a hedgerow, I scanned around with the bins and onto the dead ewe, and there was another fox.

The first one came back and the second moved off and led down, so I tracked it in the scope, and waited.

It moved off to the left at just under 300 yards, I kept on it and meeoowwed, it stopped and I settled the cross-hairs on the top of it’s shoulders “Thwack†my shot found it’s mark.

I swung round to the ewe and the second fox was off.

It was a Vixen.

Myfoxcalls007-1.jpg

I've always heard 'foxes are a problem, they kill sheep' but in my sheltered life, I've never seen a photo of a fox and sheep like that. I assume that fox has killed that?

Good to see you're keeping them down as they appear to be a pest there. You're not just killing them for 'the hell of it'.

Cheers,

Jon