air riffle

Spaniel

HI

Im a shotgun man myself but i do have a 22 air riffle with a 4x15 crossmans scope on it.

I only play hitting tins in the back garden now and then, it as a break barrel to load the pellet but will i be able to shoot rabbits with it using the pointed headed pellets ?

If not what types of air guns will be ok on rabbits and what is the difference between them...sorry might be basic stuff but i dont really know much about air riffles

Just wondered as it sits in my gun cabinet most of the time, and i brought it from a game fare years ago

Cheers

Edited by Spaniel

hi, spaniel, what make is it ? and to shoot rabbits you need to be able to hit repeatedly a ten pence piece at 25 yds

because rabbits need to be shot in the head between the eye and ear to kill instantly, pointed pellets are not very accurate

and the best pellets for hunting are the domed type , hard hitting and accurate, so good luck and let us know how you get on

regds brian

HI

I can not see any manufactuer name on it, except made in china, if i remember the guy i got it from said it was 11lb pressure or something like that.....nice bit of wood on the stock, i got it at some show at castle cary a few years back..

I use the round heads pellets in the garden

The reason why i stopped using it was because i started to aim with the shotgun the same as i did with the air riffle so i put it to one side :good:

Hey,

For starter's you need to get rid of that scope.

Minimum of 4x32 and practice in your garden on target's.

Once you can hit with in a 2 pound coin at 20-40 yard then you are ready.

Your rifle is up to the job if you can place pellet's with in 2 pound coin at them distance's and as stated head shot's only with a irgun so practice is needed.

Your problem at the moment Is your scope,4x32 minimum and there cheap but I would opt for a 3-9 at similar price.

ATB

Thanks appreciate the advise

There seems to be a large array of scopes out there and was just reading the other topic on scopes

very interesting

Ian

Big subject my friend but I would highly recommend you save and buy a good scope as you will waste a lot of money and end up getting the expensiver one in the end.

In my opinion the best fixed budget would be a meopta but used at 100-120.

simmon's wtc 4x40 Is also excellent but very rare.

Hey,

Once you can hit with in a 2 pound coin at 20-40 yard then you are ready.

Your rifle is up to the job if you can place pellet's with in 2 pound coin at them distance's and as stated head shot's only with a irgun so practice is needed.

Your problem at the moment Is your scope,4x32 minimum and there cheap but I would opt for a 3-9 at similar price.

ATB

Ive actually just found out what 3-9 means :good::good::yes:

variable zoom scopes such as 3-9x40, 3-9x50 etc etc can by purchased new for less that £60 half that second hand

I'd get something like a 3-9x40 or 50 that way you can shoot out to maximum range and wind it down to shoot close range

Your rifle will need to be 10+ Ftllb to hunt out to 40 odd yards

what rifle do you have btw ?

40 mm front lens lets more light in but a 50mm front lens is better for lamping and low light shooting as they let more lght in, a illuminated crosshair is also good on a 50mm scope as they allow you to see where you are aiming at better in low light conditions, e.g. dawn, dusk or lamping. Get the air rifle chronographed with a range of pellets as different pellets can add or reduce power

its not the pellets, the accuracy or the scope that needs to be the first consideration before you try and shoot anything with an air rifle, its the power that its putting out.

too much and you could be in BIG trouble with the law, not enough and you will not cleanly dispatch your quarry.

speak to your local gunshop and ask them if they will check the power level for you with a chrono, you cannot guarantee that because it is a certain type of gun it is putting out the power that it should

once you have done that then personally i think the advice on domes is good advice they are all i use on anything

i understand the comment on scopes but many airgunners have hunted with open sights before optics came along, its not a necessity but does help

practice practie practic first - 25mm groupings at 30 yards consistently is considered to be around the benchmark

happy rabbiting !

Ive just boughht a new gun, a Wierauch 97K with 3-9x40 scope. Shot my first rabbit yesterday evening and was well chuffed! I sugest you get your gun checked to see actualy how much power its kicking out :lol:

Got some Crosman Premier Hollow Point Pellets 400884_M1.jpg wich were over £8 but killed the bunny in one shot right in the eye. The rabbit droped dead instantly. I was really chuffed, as i went to effort with mat, made a mono V rest for my gun and lead quietly on my chest behind a huge lump of ivy i bought from another field. I had my scope set at 6-7 times magnification and the rabit was at about 25 years im guesing.

easy way of seting up scope - get a cardbourd box.... draw four circles about the size fo a £2 coin in each quarter...measure up 30 yards at say 8x magnification. then do it again at 6x magnification at 20 yds for closer quary. You may find, at a closer distance your pellet hits the top of the circle, (because it may dipp at 30yds) so you need to remember to aim 1/4 of an inch lower if your at a shorter distance ect ect.

Just have a mess about with firing at these sized circles and find what suits you best :P

Edited by westcountrylance

Hey,

Once you can hit with in a 2 pound coin at 20-40 yard then you are ready

ATB

Big subject my friend but I would highly recommend you save and buy a good scope as you will waste a lot of money and end up getting the expensiver one in the end.

In my opinion the best fixed budget would be a meopta but used at 100-120.

simmon's wtc 4x40 Is also excellent but very rare.

variable zoom scopes such as 3-9x40, 3-9x50 etc etc can by purchased new for less that £60 half that second hand

I'd get something like a 3-9x40 or 50 that way you can shoot out to maximum range and wind it down to shoot close range

Your rifle will need to be 10+ Ftllb to hunt out to 40 odd yards

what rifle do you have btw ?

40 yards with a chinese air rifle...not really realistic, my advice would be to keep the chinese rifle for plinking, they are usually very poor for hunting.

you can pick up a decent nikko sterling 3x9x40 from JSR for under £25 complete with mounts...something like a simmonds for a chinese air rifle is overkill especially as the chinese rifles are £30-£40 new it's just not worth it, if you are thinking about hunting with an air rifle buy something that will do the job well, and not with something that will just injure quarry

you can pick up a bargain usually for under £100 in the sales section that is more than capable of dropping a rabbit at realistic distances such as 25-30 yards, anything more distance and you might as well get .22LR or FAC air rifle

you are not going to get those groupings with a £1000 scope with a chinese air rifle, plus they are so inconsistant, it would do more damage to the rabbit if you threw it at it.

all the best

ES

Edited by evilstoat