Making the Shot Count

Axe

After plinkin' with freinds last night, I noticed that I was getting better target hits and grouping if I took the shot quickly. This was also coupled with taking fewer shots at the 'ockey' so to speak.

So, I thought i'd post this to see what other people prefer. Do you take aim and shoot quickly or take your time and risk the critter getting away?

Happy hunting.

Axe.

Edited by Axemaniac

The Rifle i'm using is quite light and infact I seem to shoot alot better with my mates much heavier HW77. I hear you thinking well why dont you go and buy an HW77, well I am considering it as we speak, that or an Air Arms TX200. Just wanted to see how others prefer to shoot, thanks anyway.

Axe.

I know you're talking about rifle shots but it's sometimes the same with shotgun shots.

If i take a quick shot i.e. see bird, mount gun and shoot i seem to be more on target then if i think about the shot i.e. see bird, mount gun, take time and think "shoot just infront and below" then shoot.

Don't think i'm making sense. What i'm trying to say is, if you think too much you can fluff the shot, rather than doing by your instinks (sp).

Just my 2 pence worth :/

Adam

Thanks Adam, I know where your coming from. The principal is the same no matter what your aiming with. Perhaps I should have mentioned that these were all free standing shots and not poised up against a steady rest, where I think I would take the time to perfect the shot.

Thanks for the Post.

Regards,

Axe

It was a general conversation that we had over the time it takes to pull the trigger. I agree that accuracy has to be the main objective rather than waste a blundered shot. In every shot I take I normally come up to the target with a slow and gradual movement then pull the trigger when the cross hair reaches the desired objective. Whereas, others may be seen to hold position on the target to ensure the perfect despatch.

Thanks 1 of 5

regards

axe

Edited by Axemaniac

I can hit more pigeons than clays but only if they come in quick and its snapshots, Gawd knows why?:D?:D

LB :o

I think, if you think too much about the shot you miss.

Going on instinked (sp) a quick shot without thinking often pays off

(Thinking about where to aim not the safety,,,, :devil: you know what i mean)

Target shooters will take up to 90 seconds per shot getting alignment and getting their breathing correct before squeezing the triger for anoother perfect bull.

The HW77 would be an excelent choice of rifle in the right hands it will easily out shoot a PCP in the hands of an average shot.

My preferd technique with air rifles rim fire and full bore alike is;bring the gun up to the target breathe out (dont hold breath for more than 6 seconds or you will reduce oxegenated blood flow to the brain and impair vision) make slight adjustments to get the Point Of Aim (POA) exactly whare I want it, then squeeze the triger. Follow threw the shot by continuing to look threw the sights. the gun wil jump, if it comes back to whare you were aiming you have probably pulled of the perfect shot. If the gun does not come back to whare you were aiming you snatched the trigger, moved position or did not have a stable firing position.

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave

Very true. if you get the time it is possible to adjust and test your position before you start shooting. I can get some very good groups unsupported without a scope at 25yds. somthing else to try is a sling, when i tried it I seemed to become much more stable.