No go when theres snow on the ground

pigeon master

Hi,

I went out for a shoot today and wish I hadn’t bothered.

I read in some book or possibly on the forum that pigeons don’t see decoys with snow on the ground, well I witnessed that today.

Bird after bird flew past without a second glance; I managed to take a bird down for the magnet from a large flock that flew past and thought my chances would increase, but to no avail.

Has anyone had any joy over snow covered fields or is this the norm, there was loads on the fields when I turned up but non would decoy, I sat for 3 hours and rapped up with one bird but it was great to get out.

Busy fitting my kitchen like you RB, so I took a quick break but I think the next time it’ll be a session on the rabbits rather than pigeons.

The PM

:/:lol:???:D

I'm fitting the same kitchen, or something very simliar RB apart from the glass doors, very nice job you've done there mate.

What are the extractor chimneys like too fit, just got myself a great big drill to cut a hole through the wall, I'm not looking forward to using it.

Did you fit the work surface? I think I'll get someone in the know to do mine or I'll balls it up. The brown with black work top looks the dogs, tell your good lady she has good taste.

Top job, I bet your lass is well pleased. :D

The PM

been out a couple of times lately when snow on the ground, have done reasonable apart from yesterday? set up very early at least 3" of fresh snow that had fallen during the night? took 3 birds in no time, then after an hour in rolled the fog? sat an hour and a half then it started to lift just made out a group of birds landing about 100yards away belted out of the hide and set a magnet away,then the fog cleared but still not much wind, and I sat and watched group after group of birds fly past with not a cursury glance,magnet in! snow melted within hours, magnet out! made no difference only the odd single bird and one group of about 7 came in ended with 9 for about 6 hours only good point was my truck is back on the road so I dont have to carry my gear so far?

cheers Keith

I'm fitting the same kitchen, or something very simliar

Homebase, verona in cherry

What are the extractor chimneys like too fit? QUOTE]

LOL. I cheated, doesn't go outside. Stops just past the shelf

Did you fit the work surface?

Yes but used a jig from a mate to do the joints. Don't do them with out one. Ask a kitchen fitter to do it for you :D

Tell your good lady she has good taste.

Thanks, did i inclose a picture of myself? :D

Top job, I bet your lass is well pleased.

She wants the downstairs bathroom done now :/:lol:???

It can be deadly (not fitting kitchens !!) snow has to have been around for a while and the crop you are shooting over needs to be the only one around showing through. Pigeons don't have an option that way and get used to the snow after a few days, you can have amazing sport !!.

Trouble these days is that it's here today, gone tomorrow, just leaves a lot of wet fields that pigeons ain't keen on.

Watched a massive flock coming in dribs and drabs from a wood onto a rape field today, it's a place I've shot before so just OK'd it with the farmer and sat in the motor watching for half an hour. They flew to the same spot having been pushed right off but all of a sudden decided to head for the next county en masse and didn't come back. Glad I hadn't set up or I'd have been really cross :<

Went to find them and you guessed it they were on another massive block of rape about 2 miles away.

Roll on drilling I say !!, spoke to a farmer today about beans that are going in very soon, loads of pigeons in the area and flying around in ones and twos rather than big flocks. LUVVERLY !!! :/:lol: