Typical new boy question

poorpeet

WD40 is a water repellant that last all of about 2 mins. Its great for cleaning out the tubes as the solvent that carries the oil does a good job on powder residue.

As for its protecting ability, its better than nothing but not ideal, something a fair bit heavier would be nice.

whats wrong with good old WD40?

WD stands for Water Dispersant

Thats what it was manufactured to do, not to lubricate.

It has lubrication properties as its a light pil, but on a gun it evaporates quickly leaving the parts dry and wearing.

If you use WD on a gun it becomes "addicted" to it - needing constant replenishment.

Gun oils are thicker and stickier, with higher thermal properties.

Whats "special" about gun oil is that its the right oil for the job. Would you fill your cars sump up with WD and expect to get the next 10,000 miles out of it? Just as you use a motor oil in a car, use a gun oil on a gun.

:innocent: I can understand that a special solvent is needed to clean off lead and propellent residue.

But, is there anything special about gun oil? or would any light machine oil with a rust inhibitor, like 3 in 1 do the same job? ;)

Pete

My friend I have been shooting for over 40 years, and owned many guns and in that time I have only bought one can of gun oil, I have used 3 in one oil, wd40, engine oil, gear box oil infact any oil that comes to hand, personally after a days shooting I clean my gun and then keep it in a dry warm environment and have never had any problem what so ever.