SGC Arrived - well done Maidstone Police

dapper

Hi there,

Yesterday I was amazed! My SGC arrived exactly 2 weeks after my visit. I am now in the process of looking at purchasing a shot gun

I am in the Maidstone, Kent area and obviously also in the process of looking for grounds/ Land or even a syndicate to join where I can shoot.

I mainly want to shoot clays to start, but would like to shoot vermin. I am also attending a club to go for my F.A.C so I can get a section 1 shotgun multi cartridge. As far as I am aware I wil need to join a Practical shot gun club, unfortunatly the nearest one is Harlow I think.

If any of you know of a Practical shotgun club closer to Maidstone or somewhere I could use an 8 - 14 cartidge shot gun please let me know.

Also I will be joining the BASC

Thanks

Dave

if you think about it, multi cartidge guns (eg ones that hold over 3) are kind of pointless, youve got to be quite a bad shot to fire off 6 shells before hittting the target (or mostlikely missing if youve failed to hit it with the last 5) stick to the most with a semi/pump/or o/u they would be your best bets,

they also tempt you to get quite trigger happy, which is not good when the "one shot one kill" principle is always in force!

also the weight of a shotgun with 12 32g shells in there would way a ton!!

Edited by dogfox

HI dapper, I am also from Kent and I shoot Clays at Greenfields in Sturry. I also am looking to join Harlow practical shooting club but now that will be dalayed since I am trying to save some money so I am going to have to give practical shooting a miss for now and stick to clay pigeon shooting but in the future I definately want to take up practical shotgun shooting and hopefully get an FAC for a section 1 shotgun.

HI dapper, I am also from Kent and I shoot Clays at Greenfields in Sturry. I also am looking to join Harlow practical shooting club but now that will be dalayed since I am trying to save some money so I am going to have to give practical shooting a miss for now and stick to clay pigeon shooting but in the future I definately want to take up practical shotgun shooting and hopefully get an FAC for a section 1 shotgun.

Hi Kaz,

I know Greenfeilds, I am hopefuly going to go there soon. Yes Practical shooting is what I want the multi section 1 SG for.

You can still go to a target shooting club to get an F.A.C as the probabtion is around 3 - 6 months then so many months to get the F.A.C and the section 1 SG wont go on your shot gun certificate.

Dave

Yeah but with firearms it is more strict so me joining a normal targetshooting club and then wanting to apply for an fac to get a section 1 shotgun is going to look weird since I have been doing target shooting with a rifle all these months and not practicle shotgun shooting. Harlow club probation is for 6 months they said, but I just don't have the money these months, hopefully in april/may looking to start up.

Pigeons & Rabbits mainly but during pheasant season as a reward i get to have any stray pheasants that wander onto his land so long as he gets the first one of each bag.

Also luckily for me my rifle club is located right by the land i shoot on :good:, so i can target shoot then wander off and shoot on my land with my rifle or shotgun.

Hi Kaz, Warlock, Johnyboy

Thanks for the replies. Well I am hopng to get my gun this week or at least in the week. Depends on how my work shift end up really.

After I have got my shot gun I will be looking for some land to shoot on... from what I hear its pretty hard to find any land that is available especially here in Kent.

Does any one know where I can get a list of all the creatures that are considered as Vemin.. I know basic things like Rats, Mice are Vermin, but are pigeons classed as Vermin? Do you reuire a licence to shoot them apart from the SGC and the permission from the land owner.

Are there only certain things we can shoot at with shot guns?

I am hopefully soon aquiring my F.A.C so will be able to add things like .22 etc

I will also be going to a few of the clubs to shoot at Clays as well. Maybe I will bump into you soon.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Kaz, Warlock, Johnyboy

Thanks for the replies. Well I am hopng to get my gun this week or at least in the week. Depends on how my work shift end up really.

After I have got my shot gun I will be looking for some land to shoot on... from what I hear its pretty hard to find any land that is available especially here in Kent.

Does any one know where I can get a list of all the creatures that are considered as Vemin.. I know basic things like Rats, Mice are Vermin, but are pigeons classed as Vermin? Do you reuire a licence to shoot them apart from the SGC and the permission from the land owner.

Are there only certain things we can shoot at with shot guns?

I am hopefully soon aquiring my F.A.C so will be able to add things like .22 etc

I will also be going to a few of the clubs to shoot at Clays as well. Maybe I will bump into you soon.

Thanks

Dave

Words fail me :good:

D2D

If any of you Kent lads on this topic fancy a meet up at one of Kents least known best venues give me a shout if you fancy a drive Dover way. £20 for 100 clays DIY electric traps go round in your own groups at your own pace and have fun, Also great breakfast hut on site and tons of parking. I get down there as much as i can.

Place is called Martin Gorsewood, they shoot alternate Sundays 29th march is the next date, this sunday is a trophy shoot so can be abit manic plus i`m target shooting this sunday. Yes it is cheap but a very good venue, fibre wads only but an excellent layout which always changes, if you don`t have fibres then i have a few thousand Kent velocity 12guage 28 7.5`s that you can buy some of £14 a hundred. or the do eley firsts at £4 ish a box on site.

Yes seems ok to me.. Well like I said Im up for it. But only if people are meeting up. No point going that far on my own.

I can imagine me being there like that kid at school and his lunch box sitting in the corner! Billy no mates! Not good.

Dave

I would definately be up for it but my cartridges are plastic. :good:

I will have to make sure I can find it, I tried to find it 2 weeks ago got lost around Martin Mill train station on those tiny back roads and nearly ended up in a field, so after that little adventure I was like: Martin Gorse Wood: Argh!!!

I am although willing to give it another go though.

For those that want to come we can meet at somewhere that is easy to find, Macdonalds takeaway on the A2 is an easy place, right next to a massive roundabout, can`t miss it plus you can route plan to the restaurant.

The site sells eley firsts at £4 a box last time i checked but could be abit more now, or i have Gamebore Kent Velocity 28 7.5`s which people can buy at £14 a hundred which is what i pay, not a bad cartridge check the reviews on this forum.

I would be up for a meet and shoot... but can't make the 29th.... allready made arragements to be at the Kent Game and Country festival at Detling that Sunday, and i don't want to miss that... normally a bit of Pigeon gear on show amongst all the other stuff.

Another time chaps....

Dave :good: