feeds per day

darren m

just a quickie -- how many times a day should i be feeding my pup 21 week old bitch spaniel , currently on 3 feeds , but reading various feed bags say different things ( either 2 or 3 feeds per day ).

last thing i want to do is under or over feed her for that matter - thinking nutrition , developing bones and joints etc

cheers

Depends on whether she is fat or thin and her metabolism. As said most adult dogs are fed once or twice a day.

My lab is fed once a day but my 15 month ESS still needs fed 3 times a day to keep weight on her (if I put the same quantity into two feeds it runs through her). I would keep her on 3 feeds until six months and then see how you go using the same total quantity of food but cutting her down to 2.

shes about right as far as i can tell ( maybe a bit under weight ) but she does,nt eat a lot or seem to want a lot more interested in being a nutcase :lol: than food , my lab had 3 per day up to 6 months , then onto 2 , but he was a big boned dog .

the springer is a little bitch :good: , i suppose she'll let me know when you does,nt want her miday feed

Edited by darren m

You may in that case be able to get away with ad lib food, I've managed with my last couple of dogs just leave a large bowl full down in the morning and they eat what they want and leave the rest and come back to it when they want during the day. I top up if needed in the evening, i've found it takes the excitement out of food and stops them bolting it down. I've done it from pups so they've grown up like it but sounds like it may work with yours, obviously it won't with a greedy lab but if you keep an eye on things it gets you out of having meal times and a really excited dog at that time as well as getting enough food into a dog that isn't overly keen on eating.