Reloading Kits, Complete?

I am considering purchasing a reloading kit for my 6.5x55. Are they as advertised "everything you need to start reloading", or do you need other items as well? If so what are they, what would you recommend purchasing too?

Many thanks, ft.

Edited by flytie

Its not always the cheapest or most cost effective way to set up buying a kit. I went and spent an afternoon at Tim Hannams and bought a mish mash of bits (some Lee, some RCBS and some Lyman) This worked out only slightly more than a 'starter kit' and I am still using the same gear 5yrs later (albeit with digi scales not rather than the analogue Lyman bean I bough to start).....

So to answer your question yes and no. You can buy a kit but I will gaurantee that withn a short while you'll be upgrading bits......

I dont mind sharing what I got to set up if that helps.....?

Hi Ft,ive just started reloading myself .223 & .243 i brought the lee anniversary kit & you just have to get the dies to suit.Then your away :good:,depending on how much your going to load the scales with the kit do the job,but im thinking of getting some digital ones.You will probably need some little bits like a case length trimmer etc but there under a fiver.Good luck with your first load :good:

Andy

Its not always the cheapest or most cost effective way to set up buying a kit. I went and spent an afternoon at Tim Hannams and bought a mish mash of bits (some Lee, some RCBS and some Lyman) This worked out only slightly more than a 'starter kit' and I am still using the same gear 5yrs later (albeit with digi scales not rather than the analogue Lyman bean I bough to start).....

So to answer your question yes and no. You can buy a kit but I will gaurantee that withn a short while you'll be upgrading bits......

I dont mind sharing what I got to set up if that helps.....?

Burpster, many thanks for the kind offer. I have been round to deliver some flies to a chap who is a local precision engineer. He also reloads. Some of the items he suggested buying, as well as the kit, were a case trimmer, micrometer and a primer pocket cleaner. He has given me a lot of info and offered to guide me. He has a Rock Chucker RCBS press, but like you has mixed and matched with the rest of the kit. He did tell me that RCBS is about the best kit. So I will hold fire, gather more info and hopefully end up with kit that will last a lifetime (or what I have left!) but not break the bank

ft.

When i started reloading i was told to only buy RCBS. The quality is very good. i would suggest buying digital scales as they are easier to use, a primer pocket cleaner rather than a brush (i'm not sure if the make matters on this they all look the same) and a lee powder measure set (set of small scoops) for starting to measure powdres roughly. If you have loads of brass from factory fired ammo you may not need a case trimmer for a while. Hope this helps.

James

From my experience(gun shop owner) Redding the best of the major commercial units, then Lyman RCBS and Hornady all together then Lee. Although bits an pieces of each are superior. Cheap good quality startout is the RCBS partner press kit. If you only intend to load 100 -200 a year then this will be fine. One day Ill start a post on reloading setups.

Cheers :good:

Edited by macca

Burpster, many thanks for the kind offer. I have been round to deliver some flies to a chap who is a local precision engineer. He also reloads. Some of the items he suggested buying, as well as the kit, were a case trimmer, micrometer and a primer pocket cleaner. He has given me a lot of info and offered to guide me. He has a Rock Chucker RCBS press, but like you has mixed and matched with the rest of the kit. He did tell me that RCBS is about the best kit. So I will hold fire, gather more info and hopefully end up with kit that will last a lifetime (or what I have left!) but not break the bank

ft.

Very wise..... and its great having a tutor..... :good:

RCBS is a very std to go by but other makers produce parts that are better made/quality, and some like Lee make some parts as good for a fraction of teh cost.....

When i started reloading i was told to only buy RCBS. The quality is very good. i would suggest buying digital scales as they are easier to use, a primer pocket cleaner rather than a brush (i'm not sure if the make matters on this they all look the same) and a lee powder measure set (set of small scoops) for starting to measure powdres roughly. If you have loads of brass from factory fired ammo you may not need a case trimmer for a while. Hope this helps.

James

Cheers James :good: .

From my experience(gun shop owner) Redding the best of the major commercial units, then Lyman RCBS and Hornady all together then Lee. Although bits an pieces of each are superior. Cheap good quality startout is the RCBS partner press kit. If you only intend to load 100 -200 a year then this will be fine. One day Ill start a post on reloading setups.

Cheers :good:

Macca, very interesting. You are the first to mention Redding to me, I will google forwith!!!!!!!!!!

ft

Hi Flytie,

Redding offers probably the best O frame dies on the market and some pretty exotic ones. I was in a suppliers warehouse the other day picking up some stuff, got to talking different calibres, said I shot a 6 br dasher and could only neck size, next thing he pulls out a full length sizing die for same (only trouble Id need a bank loan to buy it). I also use one of their competition powder throwers - with fine grain powders accurate to about .1 grain. Its good gear but can be expensive. This their web site http://www.redding-reloading.com/

Cheers <_<

I mixed and matched, I used Redding dies and a Lee press, it depends why you are reloading.

If it is just for cost, then the cheapest stuff will probably do, if it is for accuracy and consistancy then spend the extra dosh.

You will need a case trimmer, I bought the RCBS one in the end, and I bought at flash hole deburrer and primer pocket tool (mainly to re-use AE .223 cases)

I bought cheap digital scales which I didn't get on with, but found some secondhand RCBS ones on ebay.

'That person' can give you a fair bit of advice, and show you his setup, try contacting him if you can get hold of him..

Hi Flytie,

Redding offers probably the best O frame dies on the market and some pretty exotic ones. I was in a suppliers warehouse the other day picking up some stuff, got to talking different calibres, said I shot a 6 br dasher and could only neck size, next thing he pulls out a full length sizing die for same (only trouble Id need a bank loan to buy it). I also use one of their competition powder throwers - with fine grain powders accurate to about .1 grain. Its good gear but can be expensive. This their web site http://www.redding-reloading.com/

Cheers <_<

Thanks Macca!

I mixed and matched, I used Redding dies and a Lee press, it depends why you are reloading.

If it is just for cost, then the cheapest stuff will probably do, if it is for accuracy and consistancy then spend the extra dosh.

You will need a case trimmer, I bought the RCBS one in the end, and I bought at flash hole deburrer and primer pocket tool (mainly to re-use AE .223 cases)

I bought cheap digital scales which I didn't get on with, but found some secondhand RCBS ones on ebay.

'That person' can give you a fair bit of advice, and show you his setup, try contacting him if you can get hold of him..

Stuart, I know what you mean, he can be somewhat elusive! But I will give him a call.

I am just interested in reloading the same way as I was with tying flies. Making something then using it appeals to me. Also accuracy can be addictive, also finding out what my rifle likes to eat! I really need to load some ballistic tipped 120 grains. But my friend Garry W' will help. I will have to go the cheap route as i have just got two more farms to control the deer on, and I need to buy some high seats.

ft

If you have loads of brass from factory fired ammo you may not need a case trimmer for a while.

I would suggest that a case length trimmer is one of the first things that you buy, overlength cases can cause serious problems.

You can pick up a Lee case length gauge and trimmer for around £10...money very well spent.

Hi Flytie,

this link is for a Lyman setup, has everything you need to produce accurate quality ammo. It is probably the best value for money going. The kit will save you about a third off what you pay if you purchased the bits individually

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses...Del_Crusher.php

Cheers :hmm:

Looks very good macca, I have put it on my favourites.

ft

I would suggest that a case length trimmer is one of the first things that you buy, overlength cases can cause serious problems.

You can pick up a Lee case length gauge and trimmer for around £10...money very well spent.

I think the Lee gear is going to be the way to go for me, because of the cost. As stated I need some high seats now and they will have to take preference. In the mean time i am going to use my mate Garry's loading equipment.

ft