.17hmr ammunition & rifles

fieldwanderer

Getting a .17 HMR asap so would like some educated opinions please;

I REALLY want the savage 93r17btvs but I'll have to see what I can and can't afford, What similar rifles could I look at and why? Ideally, I want a fairly long (20"+) heavy stainless barrell (as accurate as possible), with a nice trigger. The stock's not too much of an issue as long as it's man-sized and not synthetic, I do like laminated stocks though. Please try to avoid cz's though, my .22's a cz and although I like it, I'd like something different this time around.

Ammunition wise, what do you guys preffer? What's accurate, harder hitting, cheap and so-on?

Thanks for any advise guys, much appreciated :good:

Edited by fieldwanderer

Just buy the Savage. It is the closest match to your specification, and a very fine rifle. However if you are happy with a more traditional-looking rifle, there is no finer rifle made this side of the Pond than Anschutz.

I will do mate, if I can lay my hands on the dosh. I've got an anschutz match rifle that was used in the olympics by my coach and I've used it in international competition too, I know they're good but I'd like to try something new :good:

There is a nice marlin in the for sale section with stainless barrel.

I know, but I know nothing much about them apart from one end goes bang and they don't look bad :good: I'm waiting on my f.a.c. coming back at the moment anyway - the variation's getting done. Unfortunately linc's police never seem to be in much of a hurry unless you're a motorist who's done something wrong :hmm:

ive got a cz 452 american and i run it on either the remingtons or hornaday in17grain as there seems to be no difference in the point of impact.i tried 20grain CCIs but i wouldnt recomend them although they are accurate,because they tend to go straight through rabbits and riccochete worse than 22s :good::good::hmm:

Guest topshot_2k

The savage arms with heavy barrel is an awesome bit of kit, as regards ammo most 17gr ammo is the same, i used Winchester, remington and federal and didnt have to re zero my rifle.