Rotor positioning

Tony

Have any of you rotor users found some locations for the rotor better than others?

I have placed the rotor in many positions in and around the deeks. Some seem to work better than others. I tend to rely on the good old horseshoe pattern most of the time. I have found that placing the rotor several metres in front of the head of the horsehoe works best. This seems to draw the birds over the horseshoe's landing/killing zone towards the rotor. At this point they usually spook and high tail it but the shot should have been taken by then. This is endorsed when you look at decoy layout drawings in sporting gun, they tend to show the 'whirly' in a similar position.

I would be interested in peoples experiences and tactics. :)

I vary the position of the rotary, quite a bit, but I try to keep to two principles.

One is that the rotary should not direct the birds attention towards the hide (and me).

The second is that the rotary must always be "in range". I have had birds from the "wrong" direction, land on the far side of the rotary device, out of range.

:)  :) cranfield i think thats fair comment.I`ve found that providing you put the "wirligig" towards the front of your pattern the birds SHOULD fly in your pattern towards the machine.Hopefully they will land in the killing area left between your deeks. We have also found the horse shoe pattern most productive. THAT IS WHEN THERE ARE BIRDS ABOUT

!!!!!! :P  :)

Guest flightline

Thanks for the tips. Are there any rules people use about how far apart the outer tips of the horseshoe "arms" should be? For example, does it depend on wind strength or other factors or is it complete trial and error? Narrow or wide, basically? :)

:)  :P  :) Flightline I have found that the distance between the two extreme birds at the end of the horseshoe shaped pattern can be a lot wider on newly sown crops ,as they will stand out more from afar. when shooting over rape we still have a wide enterance to the patten but to a closer compact V shaped pattern. I hope this makes scence.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Guest flightline

Thanks guys. Range being what, up to 60 yards from say 15-20 yards giving say a gape of up to 45? Would that be it? And why doesn`t a vee look unnatural to pigeons? :)  :*)

I think in terms of 35 yards maximum range.

I don,t think pigeons have the understanding of geometrical shapes, to like or dislike any of them.

The decoys have got to look like birds feeding.

If you watch pigeons feeding, they make quite a variety of "patterns" on the field.

The decoy layout is shaped, to tempt them into the "killing area".

I often place a number of deeks up to 30 out directly infront of the hide, "cigar shaped".  And as cranfield said, offset the rotary to my hide, the birds either come straight to the rotary and  jink off at the last moment or they fold back their wings and land amongst the deeks.  Once again, if this does not work then i move the deeks around until the birds are happy to land.

Flightline, I have my own rules when setting the pattern.

The head of the horseshoe always points into wind. This enables birds coming in to land to fly into the wind as expected. I set the closest decoy of the horseshoe approx 25 paces from the hide. The gap between the arms is always wider than 10 paces so as not to cramp landing birds. Sometimes I extend a leg out into the field to try and turn birds that may see the pattern late when dropping over a tree line for instance. The pattern then resembles an L more than a U.

I don't 'measure' the pattern, I just chuck the deeks about until I think they look right and then set them properly on their spring sticks. Everyone has their own preferences. The important thing to remember is if it ain't working, get out of the hide and tinker with it!! :)

Dont forget to think about your pattern from the air. I once saw a chap with a fantastic layout that due to a tall hedge was not visable to the pigeon untill they came over the pattern, it just did not work. I try to stay under or very close to a flightline and chose a spot that is visable to the flightline for at least 500 yards.

I place the rotor about 15 yards from the hide and to one side. This gives me a good view of the deeks and if they do come to the rotor they are still in range. Make sure the rotor is not hidden by a tree etc. if there is a gap in the hedge you are using it can be productive to place the rotor in line with the gap.

Guest flightline

Thanks again-good advice and I do try to apply all this. It`s just soooo frustrating when there are pigeons about, they`ve seen your layout and rotor (and I agree with what has been said about its positioning), and the little devils still do not come :P  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)