night vision

A bolt 22.250

Hi all just bought a cobra gen1 with dsa can anyone advise me on the best type of laser to go on it also well im here i have a hevey barelled 22.250 thats verey acurate, at the moment it has meopta 7x50 on it can anyone recomend a scope up grade to suite the performance of this thing ? :good:

Edited by A bolt 22.250

As regard to lasers i don't know what i use is IR fitler on light force 170 lamp, works fine for me. Although use atn paladin scope it allow me to see up 100 yrds on a rabbit, and about 150 on a fox.

If that any help to it may be also a alot cheaper than a laser aswell and you have two forms of ligth soure to use.

What moble of A-bolt do you have as looking 22.250 in one.

With nigth vision you need to be 1000% of your traget and backstop as every thing under the green glow is different.

Scope wise you need somthing with side paralax to get the most out if it. As for which one it depends on weather your going to keep the meopta or if you can trade or a swap.

Dave

Thanks dave have a night stalker 220 lamp ir filter at mo rabbits seem very lamp shy round my way thats why im getting the merlin mostly to use on my 10/22 so light wait and compact with out spooking rabbits is my main consern the 22/250 is a browning abolt varmint barrel with fiberglass stock having good results with rifel finding scope bit limiting so probley sell the meopta inorder to upgrade was hoping to use the merlin for foxing but as you sed dave not untill iam used to the set up and confedent of its capability's i no theres alot of you out there already using one off thease merlins so a draw on your nollage to get the best out of mine would be much appeciated.

Edited by A bolt 22.250

Hi all just bought a cobra gen1 with dsa can anyone advise me on the best type of laser to go on it also well im here i have a hevey barelled 22.250 thats verey acurate, at the moment it has meopta 7x50 on it can anyone recomend a scope up grade to suite the performance of this thing ? :innocent:

The general opinion on the various nightvision forums is the Dipol laser, fitted with a bracket available from cobra.

An alternative, I have tried both, is a Tracer max with IR filter and dimmer, this is considerably cheaper and doubles for normal lamping use.

The scope needs side px adj to enable focussing the merlin, AGS SWAT etc.

Hope this helps, something to remember most members work and only frequent the forum late evenings etc, we are not ignoring you :blink:

Rgds D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn

Do mean red or Intra red not trying to teach you to suck eggs. As my ir filter for my light force you can only just make out red glow at 20 yards not eough to say that is a ligth.

Mine is night vision rifle scope not a day scope with add on night vision.

Down side is that with a laser you may scare with even more as it can spook them, as it may well be brigther than what you are using already. Or you may have to do like i have done i leave tham alone for a while to settle down. As to many people maybe shooting at them.

Good thing is that you are using it 22lr which means you rek hovco with them as yours is quiter than my 17HMR.

Dave

If your rifle is very accurate, don't upgrade the scope. You'll just spend loads trying to zero the new one in and it might not work well with the rifle.

Use your DSA to your advantage.

In answer to your question. I'd say a 150mw would do the job. There are some floating about on ebay.

I use the AGS/leapers swats on my NV guns as they work so well with monoculars, the 3-12x44 side focus can be bought for £99 and has never lost zero on my .223.

The decent 90mw lasers are very good with add on's and although some manufacturers claim some silly power figures I haven't seen anything that I would swap for. http://www.nightvisionsuppliesltd.co.uk/irled.php this guy is a friend and I think the prices might be out of date so they could be cheaper.

I hope you have some good back stops as gen1 on a centre fire scares the pants off me unless shooting from a hight seat etc. although the land is a bit flat round here.

ben

Sounds like excellent shooting land, I live on the only bloody hill for miles as we are on the edge of the fens :blush:

How much do you want to spend on the scope? Some of the higher end stuff is **** for night vision which is why I use the cheapy swats, they perform really well.

The falcon menace and merlins work well, as do the lower end Bushnell's like the banner.

I have got rid of 4200 Bushnell's and Leups as they don't go well and most of my shooting is with a gen2 monocular, as stated already side focus is essential.

IMHO a laser illuminator is much better than a big lamp+filter as they are so small, although if I am in the truck I do have a massive lamp which will go on top but I am ******** if I am going to carry a battery pack round all night.

I have never seen any fox's or rabbits that are shy of the lasers light, but I guess most only see it for a few seconds.

ben

was looking around the £500 plus mark for scope not becouse i want to but becuse i feal there not much point in having a longe range rifel if the scopes **** do you feal im wasting my money byeing a big german or eqivulant scope?in my mind i had thought the better the scope the more chance i would have with the nv now im confused :rolleyes:

Edited by A bolt 22.250