longbow making

asap

they were made of yew but it needs to be a a piece of specific wood of the tree.robert hardy the actor is a world authority on the subject.if you google longbows or archery i,m sure it will come up with some usefull info.if you want a traditional yew bow get down the gym they take some pulling.best of luck keep us informed of you progress.

I've made AFB's (American Flat Bow) before, and some simple one-piece bows that are similar in design to a longbow... I've got a stack of books on the subject too... :good:

Are you specifically looking to make a longbow, or just a 'bent stick'?

I bought The Dangerous Book for Boys some time back and was re-invigorated into making a longbow. Thoughts back to Days of yore when you'd get parents bamboo canes for a bow and those little green garden stakes for arrows. You'd put playing cards into ends of the little green stakes for the flight feathers and let rip. If you were really lucky you could maybe get 20 yards with them but more often than not they's fly off on a tangent. A bit like me really.

Anyway, once all the swimmy picture had gone and I was back in the real world I knew what I had to do. I went to the local sports shop and a bought a half decent bow & arrow set. Managed to lose all the arrows that came with it that afternoon and went back for more the following day.

Much quicker than poncing around with Yew, etc. Instant gratification :lol: