Cocker Spaniel

fortune82

I have been thinking about getting a gun dog now for some time but have a few questions / concerns.

Firstly both myself and my partner work full time although we are teachers so do get good holidays! Are dogs OK left at home during the day? My plan would be to have it in a kennel and run outside and also have it sleeping in a kennel outside. Secondly would leaving a dog at home from say 8 in the morning until 4:30 be acceptable or is this cruel? Is the dog likely to sit and bark constantly all day? Also what age can a puppy start living outside? I would be looking to get a cocker dog at about 8 or 9 weeks old.

Thanks for any help

Hi,

I bought my cocker from a friend and beeder. She will NOT sell a dog to a family where both work. Having only had one gundog I am a novice but he seems to need a huge amount of time and effort - 3 -4 hours exercise per day. I think he would get very bored and very frustrated if left alone all day. Maybe I am being soft.

Your gundog should be your companion, If its going to be on its own every day in a run then a cocker is not what you want. It will end up being the garden gaurd dog.

If you are to have a dog you need to be able to give it hours of your time, love and dedication. This cannot be done whilst you are at work.

Must admit i am fortunate that my boy comes to work with me everyday. (saying that he goes everywhere with me) .

Sorry if its not the answer you wanted, but you asked for opinions

i would say yes as long as u can walk him or her before work on a morning and then a good run on a night.

i have 2 terriers that live out side and they fine they get good walks and hunts.

i would say leaving a dog on its own will not like it better if theres 2 dogs together.

i work 10hr shifts most days but i do allow mine 2 come into the house for a couple of hrs on a night but only into kitchen.

they have a run plus a small peace of garden to play around in during the day.

:good:

Thanks for the answers. I have had a lot of mixed reports, like the reply's on this post! Some say it will bark and howl all day and tear up the garden. Others say they have them in exactly the same conditions as I am planning and all is fine. I suppose a dog will get used to whatever routine.

May be fine, may not. I don't know cockers well, but believe they are more sensitive than springers? FWIW my springer is kennelled and left for the time you talk about and sometimes longer and she's fine - no noise - other days she comes with me so I am lucky I can mix it up a bit.

Edit to say, depends on the nature of the dog - unfortunately getting a pup means you don't know what its like until it gets on a bit.

Edited by wgd

I have a cocker who is a year old now and he has been kept outside in a kennel with a run and dosen't bark at all even when left while we are at work, i think they all have a habit of digging when younger if they can so beware of that but you shouldn't really have any problems.