cowering dog...!

mark_mjs93

hi people, just thought id ask you all a question that someone might be able to help me with, im having trouble with my 8 month old puppy ollie, he is wippet X collie X Springer and im in the process of training him, so far have been training him for about 4 months or so, and all of a sudden we have hit a brick wall... basically, after the first 3 months he had sit, Heel, Drop, Stop And was starting on retrieving, well all of a sudden he deteriarated (?) and now he wont heel, he wont come to me at all, he wont retrieve, he will sit but i have to tell him ATLEAST twice and as for laying well NOPE, now it isnt like disobbediant (?) behaviour its like he doesnt likeme anymore, when on walks i have him off the lead, but he doesnt come near me, and when he does come near me when its time forthe lead to go on, he puts his tail between his legs lowers his head and his ears go back, when training he does this all the time, and when i command him "Heel" he does the same until he is about 2 - 3ft away from me then he lays down and rolls onto his back with his legs in the air, and tail between his legs (it is rather comical but that isnt the point, i dont laugh at it, it is just a funny look) and when i comand he wont follow the commands, i have gone RIGHT back to the basics now and im starting to worry because its like he is scared of me, and before any of you ask, no we havent had any bad experiences between us, i have never hurt him intentionally, i think this could relate in some way to his fear of water, he HATES the stuff, HATES the bath, (i dont leave water in the bath by the way, the plug stays out and i shower him down after the walks, because he looks like a yin yang sign :lol: white on the top black on the bottom with a black spot at the top :lol:) he wont go NEAR the river, so at the moment im stuck, im on the basics again, and he still wont do them, he cowers at me, and wont come to me at all, UNLESS its time for a walk or dinner, my mum YEP he will go to her all the time but this is getting ridiculous as i cant train him whilst he is in this state, any ideas on how to correct this? he used to love training and would never cower at me but now its seems as though i've lost him... any ideas??? oh and before you say i have been rushing the training, i havent really the basics i had him on for about 2 months and then the 3 month we moved up a bit to recall, and retrieval and then month 4 everything hit rock bottom... any help welcomed thanks guys.. oh and girls...

Happy Shooting

Mark

:D

its proberly an age thing, my pup is soo responsive and cowers if you raise your voice but that makes her very easy to train, i struggle to get her to clear off from my feet and do some beating

problem is dom this stops everything he wont come near me at all, i have to force him to come near me, using the collar/lead and it is annoying me because he has never been like this... he will cower even if all i say is "Heel boy..." or "come"

Edited by mark_mjs93

have you tried treats? because then he will then relate coming near you as a rewarding thing, i sometimes get the feeling my pup thinks shes doing something wrong when actualy shes doing something realy good. i recomend just loads of fuss, even if you just get him to your side and letting him off again. im no expert but it could help

have you tried treats? because then he will then relate coming near you as a rewarding thing, i sometimes get the feeling my pup thinks shes doing something wrong when actualy shes doing something realy good. i recomend just loads of fuss, even if you just get him to your side and letting him off again. im no expert but it could help

hey dom, the input your giving is great and i thank you alot, unfortunatley i have tried everything i can think of, treats fuss everything just doesnt seem to work hmmmm any help on this on guys?

Guest stiv24

I wouldn't worry to much at this stage. I would forget any sort of training for the next few weeks. 8 months is still very young so I would just concentrate on having fun while you are on your walks and make them enjoyable for the dog.

If you have hit a brick wall, continuing to train a dog who is not interested will only result in you getting wound up and you'll undo all the good work to date.

hi people, just thought id ask you all a question that someone might be able to help me with, im having trouble with my 8 month old puppy ollie, he is wippet X collie X Springer and im in the process of training him, so far have been training him for about 4 months or so, and all of a sudden we have hit a brick wall... basically, after the first 3 months he had sit, Heel, Drop, Stop And was starting on retrieving, well all of a sudden he deteriarated (?) and now he wont heel,

did you step on him accidentilly or raise your voice at him?

he wont come to me at all, he wont retrieve,

are you only doing formal retrieves or are you out playing ball/fetch with him aswell?

he will sit but i have to tell him ATLEAST twice

he has learned to count.

and as for laying well NOPE, now it isnt like disobbediant (?) behaviour its like he doesnt likeme anymore, when on walks i have him off the lead, but he doesnt come near me, and when he does come near me when its time forthe lead to go on, he puts his tail between his legs lowers his head and his ears go back,

is going home the only time you snap the lead on him?

when training he does this all the time, and when i command him "Heel" he does the same until he is about 2 - 3ft away from me then he lays down and rolls onto his back with his legs in the air, and tail between his legs

are you using heel as your recall, or is he just getting out of position?

(it is rather comical but that isnt the point, i dont laugh at it, it is just a funny look) and when i comand he wont follow the commands, i have gone RIGHT back to the basics now and im starting to worry because its like he is scared of me, and before any of you ask, no we havent had any bad experiences between us, i have never hurt him intentionally, i think this could relate in some way to his fear of water, he HATES the stuff, HATES the bath, (i dont leave water in the bath by the way, the plug stays out and i shower him down after the walks, because he looks like a yin yang sign :lol: white on the top black on the bottom with a black spot at the top :lol:)

have you started working on the shower like I suggested?

he wont go NEAR the river, so at the moment im stuck, im on the basics again, and he still wont do them, he cowers at me, and wont come to me at all, UNLESS its time for a walk or dinner, my mum YEP he will go to her all the time but this is getting ridiculous as i cant train him whilst he is in this state, any ideas on how to correct this? he used to love training and would never cower at me but now its seems as though i've lost him... any ideas??? oh and before you say i have been rushing the training, i havent really the basics i had him on for about 2 months and then the 3 month we moved up a bit to recall, and retrieval and then month 4 everything hit rock bottom... any help welcomed thanks guys.. oh and girls...

Happy Shooting

Mark

:good:

Keep your dog on the lead most of the time, he must know your in control, keep him by your side.

He obviously is pushing the boundaries, testing how far he can go without getting in trouble.

someone has been watching to much ceasar milan :good: no i prefer to walk him off the lead as this is how i make his walks more enjoyable, he knows the boundaries already mate trust me...

NTTF, yh mate i have started with the shower thing and that isnt working at all unfortunatley, im playing mainly just fetch with him at the minute as i dont think that he is yet ready to do formal retrieves, i have the lead on him to the woods were we start our walk, 'and then he comes off of it, then when we are going hom the lead is back on this is because of his EXTREME fear of traffic, cars he is ok with now, but anything bigger, van, lorry, tractor, NOPE he fights to get away from the road this requires me to stay about 2ft or so away from the curb and wait until the WHOLE road is clear for me to cross, the road we cross has an "Island" in the middle to stop, and at and last time i used that, the cars in front of him scared him alot and he started to BACK INTO OTHER CARS SO I WAS LIKE UH OH and picked him up....

when i say heel, i use it as it is meant, "Heel" (come to me), you know, and he comes to within 2 - 3ft and then stops and as i said before roles over head down tail between his legs....

GOOD NOTE;

today i thought i would re attempt some basic training, Heel, Drop (lay down), and then a bit of fetch (An Informal, Formal retrieve)

HE PEFORMED TOP NOTCH, today i did the session in a different place, were as normally it would be in the garden i took him down the woods, and did it on the open grass area there no one goes in the woods so its the perfect place, i walk him there as its quite and good for him to get exercise, the woods is really small and no one goes there and its very picturesque so i like there and he seems to aswell, i think he performed so well because although he likes the garden, i think he prefers this area, it was cool out of the sun but with sunny spots, (i stationed were i stood in th shade, so he could rest aswell) it was only a 20min session BUT he performed like a champ and im extremely proud of him, will get some photos next time i take him (tomorow) and post them up....