On the telly

dusk2dawn

Watching the news tonight a young lad serving in Afgan had been struck in the helmet, he indicated the entry hole on the helmet with an orange tipped Ballistic round, As per my own expanding .223 ammo.

My understanding is that the everyday military round is the 5.56 ball, obviously for "humanitarian" reasons.

Perhaps some of you who have served recently could put me right on this?

Rgds D2D.

like wot i said!

5.56mm-military-rounds.jpg

Excellent illustration, answered my question exactly, the round he used as a pointer was then a 5.56 tracer.

The tip has the appearance of my .223 ballistic tip rounds exactly, hence my original question.

So if his helmet had been penetrated by a tracer round he would not have survived?

Begs the question why are we using tracer rounds against the Talitubbys, when I take it they are designed to fragmentate on impact as is a ballistic tip round?

Rgds D2D

I think it was reported as a 7.62

Tracer is only the same as FMJ but with a phosphourus insert in the back that lights up after about 100 or so yards, it doesn't behave any differently apart from that

I think they normally load them in 1 in 2 or 1 in 4 (1 tracer to 4 fmj) but the military boys can give more info.

They will also have at least a dozen accronyms that could be inserted into their replies as well :rolleyes:

i don't think he was shot by a tracer, he's just using one as a pointer.

It's standard practise to use one tracer in every 5 on a GPMG for aiming purposes.

They don't fragment like a ballistic - they have the same properties as standard ball ammo - that's only paint on the round to show it's a tracer