Devon & Cornwall advice please

Birdboy

Hi,

I have a couple of questions for the Devon & Cornwall FAC holders on here. I was granted a .223 rifle a year ago when i got my license, but with a mentor. Can anyone suggest how many time or how many months i would ideally shoot with a mentor before writing to the feo to shoot alone ?

Also, once i have the .223 cleared, how long thereafter before i could be considered for an 'open certificate' ?

Thanks

Hi Wymberley

Have i met the blonde ?? The 50 something blonde :rolleyes: ? Yes i have. She inspected some land for me that wasnt known to the force. She was informative but at the time, i didnt think to ask these questions. Perhaps a quick call cant hurt.

Cheers

Hi Wymberley

Have i met the blonde ?? The 50 something blonde :rolleyes: ? Yes i have. She inspected some land for me that wasnt known to the force. She was informative but at the time, i didnt think to ask these questions. Perhaps a quick call cant hurt.

Cheers

No,mate, the young one that looks after my neck of the woods. Gorgeous and charming with it. My step-son immediately put in a second application that had absolutely nothing to do with firearms. Not saying if it was granted though.

It may help if you call if you make an aide memoire of how many times you've been out, what you've learnt, etc, in case you are asked any relevant questions.

Good luck

Hi Birdboy

I was told by the FEO round Plymouth, that there was no specific mentoring period, but once my mentor was confident with my ability and understanding then we both need to write to Middlemoor who will ift the restirction. I spoke to her the other day and said it had been 3 months, and I had been out about a dozen times and fired 200 round (243) and she said that was fine so I just need to write in.

With reagrd to getting an open tick Devon and Cornwall will not consider it until 3 years, but will open it automatically on renewal at 5 years. The only stipulation being that for centre fire you must have had them on a variation for 3 years, ie if you had a variation in year 3 of your rim fire FAC then you would only get an open ticket for Rimfire, and then after 3 years from the variation ( ie your 6th year) you could apply for an open ticket.

Hope this helps

Hi Birdboy

I was told by the FEO round Plymouth, that there was no specific mentoring period, but once my mentor was confident with my ability and understanding then we both need to write to Middlemoor who will ift the restirction. I spoke to her the other day and said it had been 3 months, and I had been out about a dozen times and fired 200 round (243) and she said that was fine so I just need to write in.

With reagrd to getting an open tick Devon and Cornwall will not consider it until 3 years, but will open it automatically on renewal at 5 years. The only stipulation being that for centre fire you must have had them on a variation for 3 years, ie if you had a variation in year 3 of your rim fire FAC then you would only get an open ticket for Rimfire, and then after 3 years from the variation ( ie your 6th year) you could apply for an open ticket.

Hope this helps

Good advice Scout. Exactly what i needed to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

All the best

i had a 6 month mentoring period on a centerfire,(D&C) when they removed the condition they gave me an open ticket,i had a closed ticket for about 2 years (rimfires) before i got the centerfire.before that i had shotguns for years.

the guy who mentored me is very well known in local shooting circles and i am sure that had a positive bearing on it all.

Edited by plinker