How to turn a bad day into a better one!

sutty

So there we were sat in the hide hoping for columbus muchicus! decoys at the ready and whirlygig powered up and ready for take off.

Sure enough and as if by magic they arrived, steady flocks of 25\30 at a time, the only problem, (and a minor one at that), was that they were all at an altitude of about 200 yds straight over us and dropping like stones into a rape field approx a mile away (not ours i might add) oh *****R

we got it wrong again! recky what recky?

So after a couple of fruitless hours and a few wild " I hope the breeze carries lead 150 yd'' shots we decided to pack it in ,it was at this point a develishly cunning plan was hatched,( ok it was my mates idea) if columbus wont come to us we will go to them.

So gear thrown in the car and off we go ,we plotted the approx area the birds had landed and drove round to the nearest farm,after a few minutes banter with a chap, we found out who owned   the land and off we go again ,in the farm yard we asked two workers the managers whereabouts

and explained why we were there,No problem, said one i have a farmer friend whos having problems with woodies on his rape, ill ring him and he did , score one,back of the net!

After pulling my mate off him and explaining that men dont kiss men, we went to the big house.

A couple of minutes later we spoke to the farm manager, Yes he said ,anytime you want just give us a bell, or let the lads know your here, Two nil the lads. all in all a very good result,especially since both farms grow rape and the one we usualy shoot on dosent!

The moral of this story for newbies and stalwarts a like is simple!

Just get out there and ask, if you dont ask you dont get!.

Regards Sutty :)  :)  :P  :)  :)  :)

:) Similar thing happened to us a couple of years ago. We had driven miles all morning without finding any birds on our shoots.At our last port of call and last chance farm, we were looking at yet more empty fields when we spotted birds piling into a distant one.We watched in amazement as they kept pouring in but it wasn,t on "our land". As we had nowhere else to try ,we decided to find out who owned it.Located the farm house and knocked the door to be greeted by a pleasant girl who explained that they only rented the house and were nothing to do with the farm.So who owns the land we asked and when she told us we nearly kissed her as it was that farmer we get on so well with and it was yet another farm he owned that he had "forgotten" to tell us about.We rushed to the field to see that they were feeding on self setting layed barley.It was 2pm by this time but we ran out of cartridges by 4.30 as we hadn,t started off with any hope of getting much shooting anyway so only took 4 boxes or so each with us.We picked up 90 plus birds and returned back to that field twice more that week with similar results.Proves the point of don,t just look on in envy,go and ask. :)

last year i shot on a farmers field of rape and watched birds come over in droves but to a field also a mile or so away,at the end of the day i decided to have a look see were they had gone to,sure enough they were hitting this other field which i thought, i know the farmer who owns this field and we came to an arrangement that even the fact that he did not want me to shot over his land(because his friend shoots the vermin there,yeah looked like it)he agreed for me to put up a string of rook scarers, so now when we go over there we put them up. anyway because i use to telephone him to say i was putting them up he saw that i was prepared to go and subsequently gave me and my mate the right to shoot his land as well it pays to show that you would go and not some i know just get the land to hold others off which i feel happens far to much, a little consideration to farmers ie phone to say how many you got ,and on the sale of dead birds offer the money most times it has been refused but they see you are doing what you were asked farmers are human after all and with out them we would not have half the oppertunity we have:/  :X  :)  :laugh:

How to turn a bad day into a better one

Start work in the office in the morning, get so fed up decide to wrap in to the day and go out for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Dont see any birds and dont even fire a shot, hey who cares Im not in the office.

See ya all later lads Im off shooting