.177 vs .22

sid the sniper

I have a rapid m2 in .22 and an s410 in .22 i am thinking o selling the rapid and getting a Hw 100 or something similar but cant decide whether to get it in .22 or .177 as the .177 fires small pellets and wont have the same knockdown power and also you get less shots per charge but you get a flatter trajectory and more accuracy? Any reccomendations with regards to gun and caliber.

I'd say a .177 is only useful if you yourself are a good enough shot. As when hunting with .177 a mm or two makes all the difference. I've shot Pigeon and Rook in the brain before and they haven't died instantly which shows how small the margin for error is! .22 is more faff though with trajectories and stuff.

See if a mate or someone close by on here has a .177 you can use one day and make up your own mind

Cheers,

Lewis

.177 is great. I've never had a .22 since I bought my first .177 (about 12 years and five guns ago). In sub 12ft-lbs non FAC rifles .177 is just so much easier to shoot and it kills just fine for me. I've had things run off with both calibres, but certainly I've had more luck with the .177 as range estimation doesn't have to be quite so spot on.

I know everyone's bored of this, but here's my opinion after recently returning to airgunning after 25 years.

After reading everything I could, I'd decided on .177. After a rushed buy at a gun shop I accidentally bought a .22 AA S310 (didn't realise until I got home. Told the shop I wanted a .177).

After using it for a bit, I'm now pleased I got a .22. I'm not as good a shot as a seem to remember being when I was 14 :no:. So, at the ranges I'm comfortable hunting at (about 20 yards), I'd rather have the extra punch of a .22, because range doesn't matter so much.

When I can hit a 2p coin at 40+ yards every time, I'll think about a .177, but until then I'll be happier with a bigger hit and a realistic view of my ability.

I've got an HW100K in 0.177 and it's a great gun. I've owned both calibres - both have their advantages but the bottom line is an air pellet of whichever calibre fired through the brain of any legal air gunning quarry with produce a clean, humane kill.

Just to put a new spin on this age old debate and inject a bit of current affairs into it... 0.177 pellets are made of less lead so they are better for the environment and of course they are cheaper!