Didn't clean my gun after a wet day out

Cosd

I've helped many a guy out of this situation. Obviously re-blueing the barrels will set it right, but I thought you were asking for some way to make it look better without the expense.

Amazing how many guys posted that they always wipe their guns down after they get wet. Thanks a ******* lot buddy.

Anyway, since the metal has already been etched below the blueing, there is NOTHING that will not replace the real job of buffing a re-blue. NOTHING! Once those pores are opened up, they will always be more suseptible to rust than the un-etched finish.

One old trick that helps to get rid of the "crud" that your light steel wool or scrubbie didn't get is to use an old pure copper coin. In the US and old penny is great as it had much higher coper content than now. the edge of the coin will scrape off the oxide but not mar the finish. You may need to find analternive that is pure coper and has an edge. Of course go lightly and with oil, but it will remove the crust.

Of the many aftermarket re-blue potions I've used, Brownells sells one that works well, but nothing like the original finish.

I think it is like a scratch on your car. The morning after it looks like you smashed in the entire door, when a month later even you don't notice it.

Good luck whatever you do.

Pete

Cosd,

You sound pretty down about this and I don't like to see that. If you PM me your name and address I'll send you a re-blueing kit and some VP90 sachet free of charge.

At least it may make it look a bit better in the short term, and if you store your gun dry and out of its slip, the VP90 will stop it getting any worse.

:sick:

Cosd,

You sound pretty down about this and I don't like to see that. If you PM me your name and address I'll send you a re-blueing kit and some VP90 sachet free of charge.

At least it may make it look a bit better in the short term, and if you store your gun dry and out of its slip, the VP90 will stop it getting any worse.

^^^^^^^

Top bloke for that!!!!!

Cosd,

:D

Thanks Deako for your kind offer, pm sent.

This site never seizes to amaze me how much people help each other out. :lol::P :P

Cosd, take a look at the Guntrader - gunsmithing forum. There are two or three threads currently in that forum that have been discussing reblueing and blacking of barrels. There are some posts with names and numbers of people who may be able to help too. :yes:

I was also going to suggest a sachet or two of VP90, but looks like Deako has sorted you out. Well done that man!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Guys thanks for all the advice, and all the sympathy!!

Deako you're an absolute gentleman, thanks very much for your kind offer and I look forward to trying it out. I'll take some pictures of the before and after as well and get them posted. The before pictures will hopefully help others to remember not to do what I did!!