Pembrokeshire Foxing - An Update.....

DaveP3@

Hi All,

As title really, its been a while since i last posted here so thought id post with a few pictures of my recent trips out.

One of my permissions has a field, Ive previously witnessed several foxes transiting through this field and like to make a point of stopping here as much as i can when shooting. Although Ive seen a number of fox on this field Ive only ever taken 2 but i cant help but go there more often than is sensible :) . It started out as per the norm, a swift walk around the perimeter of the field and a sit up on some bales calling on and off for 20 or so mins. After 20 mins of nothing i decided to take one last walk down the adjacent field and cross into 'my field' for a scan towards the bales i had previously been watching from. Once looking into 'my field' i noticed a nice bright set of eyes and raised the rifle to take a look through the NV. Sure enough foxy was there and totally unaware of my presence :) and quick steady, aim and fire i had the fox below. Turned out it was a relatively young dog in good shape. Round hit his right side and caused a fairly dramatic exit wound (it looks a tad low but due to the angle of shot taken).

s7300723.jpg

Next up is from my current 'Red Letter' day whilst foxing, this was the first night out on a permission id had for a while but due to the owners orders id left the foxes alone (until this evening :D). The area in question is a major crop/cattle/poultry farm. First night we parked towards the top end of the permission as a good enough start as any. Within 2 mins of getting out the veh and entering the field i had a quick scan using NV an noticed foxy ambling between a few cattle, i settled down and waited until the shot presented itself, the shot was taken kneeling at about 90 yards. Round hit him right in the engine room and he dropped instantly. Number 1 was in the bag. This turned out to be an old dog with a bit of a mangy tail and a decent set of teeth on him.

s7300729m.jpg

(From here on out I'm unsure chronologically where the foxes were taken in the night but i know that they were from the same outing)

The next fox was a bit messy. In one particular field i took 2 foxes, this being one of them. Nothing really to report other than he didn't have a clue what happened. Shot was taken from a bipod at ~ 170 yards. Round entered through his chest and exited around his abdomen. He dropped instantly and although a little messy didn't appear to suffer at all.

s7300772.jpg

Next fox, same field about 5 mins after fox above. After collecting the above carcass and moving it to the disposal area i scanned the same field for some reason. I certainly wasn't expecting any signs of life after the light and sound show of the previous 5 mins but to my surprise about 200ish yards away by the half eaten body of a gull i caught sight of a nice bright pair of eyes. Same detail - from a bipod shot in his chest but this time no exit wound at all but body very very squishy :( when moved. Only evidence of being shot was a small patch of blood on the right hand of his chest and a bloody nose, on checking him over he had very long front claws also.

s7300773r.jpg

There then followed an interlude where due to power problems my camera was unable to play, in this time we successfully bagged another pair of foxes :D :D

Last fox of the *night* was a strange looking little beast, looked more like a were'fox than anything else. I must admit to missing him initially (by a clean country mile) as id ran out of reloads and was using Winchester Silvertip factory loads IIRC. I didn't miss again and the result was this fellow below taken at around 60 yards on the trot.

s7300734.jpg

That concluded the first night out foxing on this particular permission. A total of 5 foxes and a great nights sport, didn't get home until 6.30am - nearly a broken man.

Now skip forward 10 or so days, this was the second night we went out foxing on this land. This night started out badly with nothing shot or even seen until ~ 2.30am we'd decided to check the top Field and then 'do one' as it obviously want happening :(

On arriving at the top field i had a quick white light scan and noticed a set of eyes at approx 170 yards. A scan of the NV confirmed it was Charles, shot was taken and he dropped like a stone, we picked him up and continued up towards the disposal area. We dropped him as we crossed a gate and heard a bark. Another quick white light scan showed yet another set of eyes at 100 ish yards. Shot was taken and the obvious sound of a hit. We left him in situ for the time being and quickly hopped another gate and say foxy number 3 of the night. Shot was taken at around 70 yards and after a hectic 20 mins or so number 3 was bagged. We didn't take individual shots but decided on a group shot for these (2 dogs 1 vixen) :(

s7300822.jpg

After another 30 mins or so we decided to head back to the veh, a quick scan in the Field we were parked up in showed yet another set of eyes :yes: after a very small call he turned and stopped looking in our direction. I took the shot standing supported and dropped him at around 100 yards

s7300823s.jpg

All in all this permission has given a total of 11 foxes in 3 outings and is my current favourite shoot :lol: the land owner actually told me the previous shooter on the land took over 60 foxes in a 4 month period...... Id better get reloading then :lol:

For those that may ask, the rifle used is a Tikka M595 in .223 Rem. Bullets used were home rolled 55gr V-max over 24.5gr of Benchmark in RG brass. Scope used was an IOR 4-14x50(40) ULTRA with a Gen3 NV monocular.

Finally a big thanks to Rob, hes my current (45 year old) FAC Padawan. Most if not all of the above can be directly attributed to him, if it wasn't for his lamp/calling/driving skills this post would have been significantly smaller :)

Thanks for looking,

Dave.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments :)

Dave-G

Farmer didnt change his mind as such, the local fox hunt is based in that area so i had to wait until the season had finished :yes:

Also, as your rightly noted the butt extension is due to the add on.

Best regards,

Dave.

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies :wub:

Blimey Dave I must look you up for a beer next time I am down, as I have lads working at the Dragon site and visit them now and again :wub:

No dramas at all Pav, gis a shout when your down next. Would be good to intergrate with non locals for a change :wub:

Best regards,

Dave.